Clifford! My Big red GMT800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Cool, looks like a good driver that just needs a little tinkering. I would suggest a pair of stainless steel tailgate straps, there are a few different options out there, the cables on those are weaker/worse than -400 ones.

8.1s are awesome, just plan on checking the oil, they sip on it consistently. Delco Platinum plugs, anything else and you'll probably chase little runnability issues. There is a known issue with crank sensors on them, they just fail over time...aftermarket ones are a waste, genuine GM P/N: 12575172. If it ever needs a cam sensor... :( You may be in for a little bigger job, it'll require a timing cover and cam sprocket to convert to the newer style cam sensor. The early 8.1 style has been discontinued but you're in a changeover period for the design and the 02/03 sensor is still available. There's some info here: http://www.raylarengineering.com/vortec8100-camshaft-position-sensor-camshaft-gears.html
Raylar makes some sick 8.1 stuff. Their youtube videos are a must see.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Freezer rolled into it.

-tune up and o2s
-get it out and raptaliner. Kills two birds with one stone, youll have real bedliner and a sled to pull behind the rzr.
-worst case senario, theres millions of red tailgates from that gen.
-2kxx (or whatever theyre called) tows
-thermostat.

Make sure to post pics when you get pigpens tires on!

Lmao, we pulled one of those when I was a kid with a Honda CT70, ridiculous. Any real paint will have to wait, it's too cold outside now for it ever set up or dry. For the time being, I'm going to pull the drop in, wire wheel it, and spray the whole thing down with chainsaw bar oil.

I probably will change the mirrors, just because the one is driving me insane.

The tailgate may get swapped, it has a bolt on cap on it I'm not crazy about, and someone already tried to cover up the flaky **** with rattle can bedliner at the bottom.

The thermostat I picked up on the way in and I'll do that this weekend when I clean the MAF and TB.

Cool, looks like a good driver that just needs a little tinkering. I would suggest a pair of stainless steel tailgate straps, there are a few different options out there, the cables on those are weaker/worse than -400 ones.

8.1s are awesome, just plan on checking the oil, they sip on it consistently. Delco Platinum plugs, anything else and you'll probably chase little runnability issues. There is a known issue with crank sensors on them, they just fail over time...aftermarket ones are a waste, genuine GM P/N: 12575172. If it ever needs a cam sensor... :( You may be in for a little bigger job, it'll require a timing cover and cam sprocket to convert to the newer style cam sensor. The early 8.1 style has been discontinued but you're in a changeover period for the design and the 02/03 sensor is still available. There's some info here: http://www.raylarengineering.com/vortec8100-camshaft-position-sensor-camshaft-gears.html

So far it's been maintaining the oil level it had when I bought it, I've put 1400 miles on it already lol.

Thank you for the link on the cam sensor, I wasn't aware of that.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Deep pockets required to play the Raylar game.

Yeah, Raylar stuff isn't happening lol. I'll be happy to get the MPG up to 12 or so everyone else reports and keep it running well and looking nice.

I can go fast in my C10 if I want, or on my RZR. I just want to feed Clifford cheap gas and haul stuff with it lol.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Yeah, Raylar stuff isn't happening lol. I'll be happy to get the MPG up to 12 or so everyone else reports and keep it running well and looking nice.

I can go fast in my C10 if I want, or on my RZR. I just want to feed Clifford cheap gas and haul stuff with it lol.

Roommate of mine bought an '01 Yukon XL w/8.1, we did the plugs here recently and I can tell it's had cheap gas (cheap plugs too). It ran rough (even died while parallel parking in driveway at idle) and look at this...

You must be registered for see images attach

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
DL8 jumped out at me. I'll admit it; I like the cushy features, I like heated seats, mirrors, steering wheels, etc...
Me too. If its ext or crew cab, gotta at least have power locks and windows. I dont mind full manual on regular cabs though.