Clifford! My Big red GMT800

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Back in the spring, I bought a 1998 K2500 to replace my old tow rigs, a 2012 gasser and 2007 diesel Ram's. i used to haul vehicles, flip, and part them out, even owned a small car lot at one point. Now I only haul my own junk around, so I hoped to get out from under these trucks that were bigger than I needed, and out from under the payment on the 12.

So enter Pigpen, the 8600 GVRW 2500 I picked up for 800 bucks. I threw a cheap paintjob on it, had the transmission built, did a tune up, etc, and drove it around.

You must be registered for see images attach

It was all sweet, until I hooked a Uhaul car hauler to it and towed my new RZR XP Turbo about. A 1500 lb trailer with a 1500 lb load on it, taxed the 350 more than I was comfortable with. It also wasn't very comfy for me over long distances at 6'5".

But, I clung to it, I love my Pigpen truck. I told my GF and her mom, I'd love to buy a newer, nicer truck, if only I could find one that wasn't rotted away and whooped to hell for under 7500 bucks.

Well, turns out her father's business had a couple trucks they were selling. A 2002 HD CCLB with 209,000, the 8.1L/Allison trans/4.10 gear combo, and a 2003 ECLB Duramax with 270k on it. The Duramax had been beat up more than a teenaged girls hoohah in the trailer park at the end of summer break, but the CC was pretty nice, having been repainted in 15 because a freezer rolled into it. So a little financial trickery, and I'm the new owner of a enormous gas sucking truck.

It's an LT, so it's fully loaded, leather, heated, etc. The thing tows like a dream, the Allison works great. It's honestly the best truck I've ever owned. It could use a tune up and some maintenance items, I'm having my 285's from my other truck swapped on this Friday, and we'll go from there.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
No arguments here.

Hell if anything it opens up pigpen into becoming a one ton sprung weekend warrior. If you're into that sorta thing. If not someone else is.

Long live Clifford!

That's really why it's priced the way it is lol. If someone wants it, they'll really have to pay, because I don't really care if it sells.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not a bad lookin truck. Looks like someone swapped the front end. That truck has an 03+ front end but an 01-02 gauge cluster with the mileage and gear selection in the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
Not a bad lookin truck. Looks like someone swapped the front end. That truck has an 03+ front end but an 01-02 gauge cluster with the mileage and gear selection in the same spot.

Correct, it was swapped when it was painted last year. I kind of freaked out a bit because the mileage didn't match and the front end was wrong, then I realized they just hadn't reset the trip ODO in years lol.

Jrgunn5150

Reaction score
So my list so far,

• Misfire/02 codes are coming and going, although the truck runs fine
  • drop in bedliner is screwing up the paint in the bed, plan to pull it this weekend
  • tailgate hinges are crusty, tailgate is a bit of a fail itself, maybe it can be cleaned up, maybe I replace it
  • Radio has no antenna, maddening, I have the extension and adapter to fix it out there in the truck
  • door pins in driver's door
  • driver's mirror squeaks and is annoying.
  • Tires from Pigpen are getting swapped on Friday morning, along with the Allison spin on filter and an oil change.
  • I may need wheel bearings, or CVs, clicks when I turn the wheels sharply
  • Never get's very warm, unsure of why.
  • Bar oil bath for the underside will probably happen this weekend also.
All in all, I'm really, really happy with the truck. I mean, I really think it's the best powertrain I've ever had.

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, it was swapped when it was painted last year. I kind of freaked out a bit because the mileage didn't match and the front end was wrong, then I realized they just hadn't reset the trip ODO in years lol.

What was wrong with the old front end? IMO the 01-02 HD front ends are the best looking of the gmt800 line

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
What was wrong with the old front end? IMO the 01-02 HD front ends are the best looking of the gmt800 line

Freezer rolled into it.
So my list so far,

• Misfire/02 codes are coming and going, although the truck runs fine
  • drop in bedliner is screwing up the paint in the bed, plan to pull it this weekend
  • tailgate hinges are crusty, tailgate is a bit of a fail itself, maybe it can be cleaned up, maybe I replace it
  • Radio has no antenna, maddening, I have the extension and adapter to fix it out there in the truck
  • door pins in driver's door
  • driver's mirror squeaks and is annoying.
  • Tires from Pigpen are getting swapped on Friday morning, along with the Allison spin on filter and an oil change.
  • I may need wheel bearings, or CVs, clicks when I turn the wheels sharply
  • Never get's very warm, unsure of why.
  • Bar oil bath for the underside will probably happen this weekend also.
All in all, I'm really, really happy with the truck. I mean, I really think it's the best powertrain I've ever had.

-tune up and o2s
-get it out and raptaliner. Kills two birds with one stone, youll have real bedliner and a sled to pull behind the rzr.
-worst case senario, theres millions of red tailgates from that gen.
-2kxx (or whatever theyre called) tows
-thermostat.

Make sure to post pics when you get pigpens tires on!

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
Cool, looks like a good driver that just needs a little tinkering. I would suggest a pair of stainless steel tailgate straps, there are a few different options out there, the cables on those are weaker/worse than -400 ones.

8.1s are awesome, just plan on checking the oil, they sip on it consistently. Delco Platinum plugs, anything else and you'll probably chase little runnability issues. There is a known issue with crank sensors on them, they just fail over time...aftermarket ones are a waste, genuine GM P/N: 12575172. If it ever needs a cam sensor... :( You may be in for a little bigger job, it'll require a timing cover and cam sprocket to convert to the newer style cam sensor. The early 8.1 style has been discontinued but you're in a changeover period for the design and the 02/03 sensor is still available. There's some info here: http://www.raylarengineering.com/vortec8100-camshaft-position-sensor-camshaft-gears.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333