"CHEVROLET" tailgate trim piece

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the tailgate trim without ruining it? Mine is oxidized and faded, and I'm considering stripping the paint, re-brushing the aluminum and then repainting the letters to match the body color. I'd like to have it hydro-dipped in a brushed aluminum pattern but I think the size would make it quite pricey. Also not sure if hydro-dipping would hold up to Michigan If it can't be removed without ruining it, I'll just repaint and clear it as others have.
You must be registered for see images attach

I would take masonary line and saw the line back and forth behind the banner to soften and separate the glue/adhesive. I use this tactic when removing emblems at the junkyard
Also, using a heatgun or parking it in the sun to heat up the adhesive.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All good tactics just my two cents here just try to almost not touch the aluminum at all. Best way for me to get a trim piece in perfect reusable condition is to not lay a finger on it until I have to catch it or pick it up. Work behind it.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's a balmy 33* here today so I'm going to wait till it warms a bit. I'll let you know how it works. Depending on how well it comes off and whether the paint's in good shape. i may leave it off. I think I'd like the clean look if it didn't require repainting the tailgate.

Steve

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. It's a balmy 33* here today so I'm going to wait till it warms a bit. I'll let you know how it works. Depending on how well it comes off and whether the paint's in good shape. i may leave it off. I think I'd like the clean look if it didn't require repainting the tailgate.

Steve
Wear some gloves when handling the banner so you don't leave fingerprints on it. Here's another thread that has some good tips: http://www.gmt400.com/threads/tailgate-trim-removal.7494/

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup, got mentioned a couple pages back in this thread. LMC has been reproducing them for a couple months now.
Doesn't look like its ribbed like the factory ones. Probably gets the job done but I would like to see one in person.

Edit: Nevermind read the description. Licensed by GM and its an exact reproduction.

Last edited:

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder if they'd produce the GMC Banner as well as the Chevy banner,
It's extremely tempting to go and try the heat-gun trick on one of the several trucks at my friend's shop, a pair of 97s both with tailgate banners.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm. I wonder if they'd produce the GMC Banner as well as the Chevy banner,
It's extremely tempting to go and try the heat-gun trick on one of the several trucks at my friend's shop, a pair of 97s both with tailgate banners.
If they do anything like they've done with the older trucks the gmc stuff probably won't get repopped for a while. They are just now starting to do some 73-87 gmc stuff an it's pretty limited.....