Tailgate issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Pictured is the freeflow tailgate on Rawhide. Apparently the latch pins have springs inside the assembly that also make them move....the left side one has gotten stuck and won't release the striker wedge so I can open the tailgate.
Looks like I may have to cut the striker wedge or the striker plate it goes into, to get this gate off and put the factory style back on it. Anyone have experience with these style gates, have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_193051929.jpg
    IMG_20240312_193051929.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 27

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to avoid cutting on your tailgate. Stick a torx bit in the screw for striker, and use quarter box wrench to turn the torx screw out. If there is clearance issue, you can " take a little off the top " of the torx but , make it a shorty. Just getting one screw out may be enough to loosen the striker plate and wiggle the tailgate open / down.
Just breaking it loose you might turn it with just regular pliers. Without chewing up the round head.
Good luck. :waytogo:

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stick a torx bit in the screw for striker, and use quarter box wrench to turn the torx screw out. If there is clearance issue, you can " take a little off the top " of the torx but , make it a shorty. Just getting one screw out may be enough to loosen the striker plate and wiggle the tailgate open / down.

From the picture, it looks like the top one may already be loose.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Pictured is the freeflow tailgate on Rawhide. Apparently the latch pins have springs inside the assembly that also make them move....the left side one has gotten stuck and won't release the striker wedge so I can open the tailgate.
Looks like I may have to cut the striker wedge or the striker plate it goes into, to get this gate off and put the factory style back on it. Anyone have experience with these style gates, have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
Silly question but I assume you've already sprayed the crap out of that release, alternately heated it with a torch, etc. to try to free it up?

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I haven't seen a lot of those style gates but the ones I can recall are at least partially welded construction, especially the outer frame. :(

Richard
This one is welded on the ends, and the bars are riveted on. Some of them are partially held on with zip ties because the rivets break when you put a lot of weight on the bars when the gate is down (guess how I found out about that one!).
And I did spray the crap out of it with PB blaster after I got the cover piece off the driver's side.
Sooooo.....after all this stuff, guess who wants to work more or less properly now?
And you were right, the top bolt was loose enough to come out with my small vise grips on the head, did that this morning and got it to move the striker wedge with my big pry bar. Maybe the stupid thing just needed some grease and persuasion.....
I'm just glad it seems to be functional again. I have 3 sets of wheels, some tables, some fenders and bumpers, and a couple of ice chests to go back there tomorrow; that's all stuff that can get wet. Renting a trailer for the parts, toys and books/magazines that can't get wet. At least my spaces are covered....one reason I rent them a year in advance so I can keep them. The swap meet used to use one of the big pavilions in the back of Traders Village, but a few years ago TV wanted to host their own events there. Hopefully the swap meet won't be a total washout, the forecast keeps changing.