"CHEVROLET" tailgate trim piece

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a new trim piece for my tailgate? The big one that goes from side to side that says Chevrolet. Haven't been very successful in my searches.

You must be registered for see images attach

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
LMC only offers the gold an black banner which I believe is only for stepsides? But they don't carry the silver an black banners. They are a discontinued item from GM, dealers can't even get them. You can scrounge on line, last time I did I found 1 for sale in Cali for $400!!

What you can get in place of the silver/black banners is just the "Chevrolet" letters that appeared on w/t tail gates. I think lmc may offer those too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Otherwise your best bet is gonna be a junkyard tailgate that in real clean shape and just mask off the banner and repaint the rest of the gate to match your truck

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow. expensive. Thanks for the ebay link. I had also just called emailed LMC about it and confirmed what MDR posted. I like the full length molding, so for now I may try and refurbish what I currently have. Next summer the truck is gonna get repainted so I want to replace a lot of the old molding when painting as well. These small little moldings get real pricey real quick!

MDR you think find an entire new tailgate from the junkyard and not just the molding? too hard to remove the molding??

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
You can get lucky and find one in good shape, it's not uncommon for folks to repaint the original banners either. As far as removing them from what I've heard it's not entirely difficult but it does destroy them and keep them from being reused.

If you feel like searching for more 15569393 is the GM part number for it.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Next summer the truck is gonna get repainted so I want to replace a lot of the old molding when painting as well.

I wanna do the same for mine eventually, I have come up with 2 options so far.

A. Go to the plain "Chevrolet" lettering like on the w/t and 99 classic trucks. Lmc does sell it.

B. Take pictures of the banner and when repainting have the banner painted on if you get what I mean.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea i've thought about going with the lettering from the 99 classics as well. For now tho i still have my heart set on the full original molding.

Interesting idea to have it painted on.

I think I'm gonna try and buff out my current one and repaint the black lettering, see how good I can get it. Ill post photos when I'm done with that. Doesn't hurt to try

And thanks for the Gm part#

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I'd love a new one myself but I don't think I can justify he cost.. Lol maybe if I win the lottery!