Changing front brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
I need to put on some new front brake pads on my '98 K1500. Can anyone give me some guidence? I've not done alot of brake work, and then it was drum and shoes.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's simple. Jack the vehicle up and remove both wheels. Turn the wheel to one side to make it easier to access the caliper. You're gonna need an allen socket to remove the caliper but I can't remember which size. Undo the two bolts to remnove the caliper and then you can take a c-clamp and use it to depress the piston back into the caliper(some people loosen the bleeder screw on the caliper or take the cap off the master cylinder before doing this so that the brake fluid can escape. Once you have the piston depressed back into the caliper you can pull the old brake pads off and install the new ones. After that just bolt the caliper back on and you're good to go. You'll want to pump the brake pedal a couple times before driving the vehicle to make sure it's firm. That's all there really is to it.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks bizzo, disc brakes are super easy to service, all you need is the large allen key. Any parts store will have it.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks bizzo, disc brakes are super easy to service, all you need is the large allen key. Any parts store will have it.

Really easy to do front pads on these trucks but make sure you get an allen socket it will make life easier for you

bggrnchvy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember to properly torque the allen's back on. Too much and you can strip the knuckle, too little and they can back out.

1990GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
changing brakes is simple
im not real sure if theres a specific amount ur sposed to torque em to
but u sure as hell dont want em backin back out
dependeing how strong u are,u can proly tell when enough is enough