CB Radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
ok gentlemen. picture request time. close ups of antenna mounted between the box and the cab, and also where everything is mounted in the cab. interior shots for a 95+ sorry 88-94 guy's.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's my setup.

Still need to reroute the wires, and this summer, I will be installing dual whips... so ya.
The CB is mounted to the lower part of the dash, almost in the center of the vehicle, and I have a 1-to-3 splitter for 12v items.
The CB itself is wired onto a 12v male adapter which is plugged into the stock 12v outlet.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
are there any cbs small enough to fit in the spot where the aux cd player used to be? I see on tahoeyukonforum.com some people have done that but no pics or write ups.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cobra 19 and 29 should be small enough. My buddy has his there in his camaro.

I think the thing is to build a bracket behind the dash that can hold your CB, but you would have to hardwire it into your system, and that is not how I like to do it.

dustin83

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe I can adapt the brackets that hold a cd player in place to the cd player, and then the cb could just clip into that spot.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I believe I can adapt the brackets that hold a cd player in place to the cd player, and then the cb could just clip into that spot.

That is exactly what I did with my old Radioshack radio. Worked good and looked clean when I cut out a peice of plastic that fit around it like a face plate. Wish I had a pic. Now I have a Cobra 29 mounted under my dash and a K40 antenna on the roof.

Just learn from what I did. NEVER use an antenna on the bumper of a SUV. Most of the power will be sapped back into the body. The best place is somewhere in the center of the vehicle. Also, do not not dual antennas. It does not work right on a normal sized vehicle. Radio waves tend to travel towards the largest amount of metal. That is why truckers use dual antenna's. The only want to talk to people in front and behind them. On a regular sized vehicle the opposite happens with dual antennas and the signal gets thrown to the sides of the vehicle. No one in front of you will hear your cb.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is exactly what I did with my old Radioshack radio. Worked good and looked clean when I cut out a peice of plastic that fit around it like a face plate. Wish I had a pic. Now I have a Cobra 29 mounted under my dash and a K40 antenna on the roof.

Just learn from what I did. NEVER use an antenna on the bumper of a SUV. Most of the power will be sapped back into the body. The best place is somewhere in the center of the vehicle. Also, do not not dual antennas. It does not work right on a normal sized vehicle. Radio waves tend to travel towards the largest amount of metal. That is why truckers use dual antenna's. The only want to talk to people in front and behind them. On a regular sized vehicle the opposite happens with dual antennas and the signal gets thrown to the sides of the vehicle. No one in front of you will hear your cb.

So would one large well rounded antenna work the best on a bed mounted tool box, per se?

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
Doing the math, the best setup is a 52" whip antenna with 18 foot of coax. Don't go crazy on the coax. The real thick foam insulated type is for base stations, get the regular stuff. Just make sure any extra cable you have is ran up and down the bed or something. Coiling up the cable will hike up cancel out the radio waves by means of magnetism and kill your range. Running it down one side and back up the other side to the tool box will work fine. Just make sure you can either fold over or take off the antenna easily so that you can go through the drive through. McDonalds complains when you knock out their lights!

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
old thread but just found it. I run a Cobra 29 Chrome and like NacIK said run the longest line of cable you can find..mine's 18'. I bought two mounts from a truck stop, cheap ass 4 dollar ones, and attached them to the back of my tool box so the "whips" would frame the cab and only connected one of the antennas. Do not buy a 1 into 2 cable, dont waste your time! As long as the antenna top is above the cab, signal should be good. I have Firesticks just so I can tune them in and have never been happier.

the big blue bus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
had dual 3fts up front on mine... but changed to a whip on rear bumper instead cuz the fender flexed too much and stuff they always grabbed branches

You must be registered for see images