Depin radio connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1999 Suburban K1500

How do you depin the stock stereo connector?

Bought this truck back in June and have been going through fixing things that the previous owner had messed up. He had put an aftermarket radio in the truck and it came with an adapter to mate to the stock connector. For reasons unknown, he also cut a couple of wires just behind the stock connector leaving the about 3/4 of an inch too short. I want to repair those but there isn't enough room for me to strip - solder - strink wrap while they are still in the connector.

I've got a set of like 42 depinning tools but none of them seem to work. It's very likely I just have the wrong ones.

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pages out of book two, section eight , electrical diagnosis. The OE service manuals are a two book/ volume set. We have FREE pdf of IE manuals your year, use search bar at top " service manuals " , one of the paragraphs has the link. I can't get the direct link to post. All the connectors are originally Delphi / Packard. Now someone bought it all, has new name, but same part numbers.
You must be registered for see images attach

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pages out of book two, section eight , electrical diagnosis. The OE service manuals are a two book/ volume set. We have FREE pdf of IE manuals your year, use search bar at top " service manuals " , one of the paragraphs has the link. I can't get the direct link to post. All the connectors are originally Delphi / Packard. Now someone bought it all, has new name, but same part numbers.
Yes, I have the manuals. I just missed this I guess. I’ll go back and look It over.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The beginning of chapter eight section 1 starts with basics, then gets into more complex repairs in the trucks electrical.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The connector uses Micro-Pack 100 female terminals. The terminals have a tab that will prevent them from being pulled out. You have to use a tool to depress the tab to allow the terminal to be pulled out.

The best tool I have found is Delphi 12180559-1.

Here are a couple photos of a Micro-Pack 100 female terminal removed. You can see where the point of the terminal removal tool is resting against the tab that requires depressing.

Stick the tool in the cavity and press the tab against the cavity wall and slide the pin out.

A narrow safety pin should be a good substitute for the tool.

Last edited:

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you. Those pictures were very helpful.
Also, when removing terminals, sometimes it helps to push them in [all the way] first, then insert terminal tool to depress the lock/tab, and then pull out.

By pushing in first, it helps break the terminal free from dirt/grime, and it helps ensure the lock/tab is not resting directly against the connector as you try to depress it, otherwise it may get bound up.