Caliper Hitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure what this is all about in the 97 manual..post #92 in the manuals sticky is where the 97 manual is...

Attachments

• caliper97.jpg
    caliper97.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 8

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those new calipers or rebuilt? If new too much metal was taken off when they machined those surfaces. If rebuilt the cores were worn out. Or,,,,the spindles are worn out. The only way to fix those is with shims.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are those new calipers or rebuilt? If new too much metal was taken off when they machined those surfaces. If rebuilt the cores were worn out. Or,,,,the spindles are worn out. The only way to fix those is with shims.
I believe there rebuilt. The last caliper I got also has issues the piston was getting stuck. When I compared to my passenger side caliper they are not the same. One is stamped with numbers and the driver side has no markings what so ever.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe there rebuilt. The last caliper I got also has issues the piston was getting stuck. When I compared to my passenger side caliper they are not the same. One is stamped with numbers and the driver side has no markings what so ever.
The only way I'll run rebuilt brake components is if I rebuild them myself. Rebuilders will rebuild cores that should be thrown away.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what this is all about in the 97 manual..post #92 in the manuals sticky is where the 97 manual is...
The shimming spec is for BENDIX calipers used on JF9 C3500HD trucks. Those calipers are Delcos, the Delco calipers are used on everything EXCEPT the bigass heavy pickups.

The caliper seems to be "rattling around" between the abutments/braces/bracket ends of the steering knuckle. The caliper is moving on the mounting pins more than it should, the only thing stopping the movement is when the body of the caliper whacks against the part of the steering knuckle intended to take the caliper thrust. There has to be SOME clearance between caliper and the steering knuckle, so the caliper can "float" on it's O-rings freely. But that clearance is excessive.

I'd be looking to "warranty" that caliper, and see if the replacement is less worn-out so it fits somewhat tighter in the steering knuckle. The alternative is that the steering knuckle is worn-out or perhaps bent somehow, to allow excessive gap that the caliper fits into. Maybe the caliper AND the steering knuckle are each worn. But I'd start with the caliper first.

On a related but different note: THIS IS WHY I DESPISE THE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KITS WITH FLAT BRACKETS like Little Shop of Horrors, and multiple others. Those systems don't have ANYTHING to restrain the caliper movement except the mounting pins, and you can see in that video how the mounting pins allow too damn much movement of the caliper. Imagine how much that caliper would be moving if it wasn't banging into the steering knuckle!

Next time some guy starts talking about Little Shop brake conversions, I'm gonna post that video.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shimming spec is for BENDIX calipers used on JF9 C3500HD trucks. Those calipers are Delcos, the Delco calipers are used on everything EXCEPT the bigass heavy pickups.

The caliper seems to be "rattling around" between the abutments/braces/bracket ends of the steering knuckle. The caliper is moving on the mounting pins more than it should, the only thing stopping the movement is when the body of the caliper whacks against the part of the steering knuckle intended to take the caliper thrust. There has to be SOME clearance between caliper and the steering knuckle, so the caliper can "float" on it's O-rings freely. But that clearance is excessive.

I'd be looking to "warranty" that caliper, and see if the replacement is less worn-out so it fits somewhat tighter in the steering knuckle. The alternative is that the steering knuckle is worn-out or perhaps bent somehow, to allow excessive gap that the caliper fits into. Maybe the caliper AND the steering knuckle are each worn. But I'd start with the caliper first.

On a related but different note: THIS IS WHY I DESPISE THE DISC BRAKE CONVERSION KITS WITH FLAT BRACKETS like Little Shop of Horrors, and multiple others. Those systems don't have ANYTHING to restrain the caliper movement except the mounting pins, and you can see in that video how the mounting pins allow too damn much movement of the caliper. Imagine how much that caliper would be moving if it wasn't banging into the steering knuckle!

Next time some guy starts talking about Little Shop brake conversions, I'm gonna post that video.
Some of those "upgrade threads" really need to come down. They lead others in a bad direction.