Caliper Hitting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Hello guys. I'm kinda having a weird issue with my caliper don't know if any of you have ran into this issue. Got a 97 gmc yukon. My drivers caliper is smacking on the bracket it's held onto and causing a loud clunk. You can see in the video it's smacking up and down

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That looks like fresh paint on that caliper. Did you paint it and did you do any sanding to the surface that rides in the spindle? It looks like there is too much clearance in that area.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like fresh paint on that caliper. Did you paint it and did you do any sanding to the surface that rides in the spindle? It looks like there is too much clearance in that area.
Failed brake mods? Doesn't really look like the parts fit.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My drivers caliper is smacking on the bracket it's held onto and causing a loud clunk.

I've watched that video quite a few times and I'm still trying to figure it out :think:

At first, I thought the clearance b/t the caliper and the abutments (on the knuckle) which the caliper presses against during braking was excessive. The abutments are fore and aft of the caliper and hold it in position against braking (and other dynamic) forces.

But after watching more, I noticed the caliper bolt (in the foreground of the video) almost seems like it's not affixed in the knuckle... almost like that bolt is broken, and allows excessive caliper movement relative to the knuckle. Hmm... that can't be, can it?

Other thoughts / comments:

I once shimmed that gap (caliper to abutment) simply to mitigate rattling on bumps (bumps caused the caliper to impact against the abutment), but on a different vehicle. You might try sticking a piece of sheetmetal into that gap and try the same experiment, just to see if the noise abates.

Is that an aftermarket knuckle?

Do those ball joints have the proper taper and depth for those knuckles?

Your camera is evidently mounted on the lower control arm. It's interesting how much the control arms move, even under the light braking situation in the video.

Last edited:

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They was already painted when I bought then. I did sand the area where it should slide back and forth from but I did it on both sides and this is only happening on the drivers. An the noise was still present before I changed the caliper or did any sanding

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Failed brake mods? Doesn't really look like the parts fit.
Everything is original no mods. I took it apart last night and it fits snug so idk how it's moving back and forth and I didn't see any cracks on the knuckle itself