C-1500 Spare Tire issue: Any suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The spare in my truck is located under the rear of the bed, held up by the little cable winch. In theory, you put this rod through the hole in the bumper, it fits into the winch shaft, and you gently lower the spare.

In practice, the hole in the bumper does NOT line up with the winch, so the rod will not fit in. I've loosened all the bumper bolts, and raised it as high as possible, but the rod still does not fit. The only way I can get the spare down is to lie on the ground under the truck, and put a wrench on the winch shaft.

Anyone know if the winch mounting is adjustable? Or is there some other trick to get this set up to work?

Thanks in advance.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I wonder if you have a different bumper or something? Dorman sells a winch for these trucks, I've only ever cut them off.

From what I remember, there are a few holes and a tab or two to locate it? You could probably take it down and slot the holes or something.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the truck used, so have no info on whether the bumper is non-original, although I've looked at a few, and the hole for the rod seems to be the same in all of them.

Good idea on relocating the winch up a bit higher, which would angle the shaft downwards. Might have to use my Dremel.

Thanks for the suggestions. BTW, I found that the spare is the original tire that came with the truck, by checking the date on it. The spare is on a steelie, but the truck has alloy rims.

Lurch

Reaction score
I wonder if you have a different bumper or something? Dorman sells a winch for these trucks, I've only ever cut them off.

From what I remember, there are a few holes and a tab or two to locate it? You could probably take it down and slot the holes or something.

Where did you find a spare tire winch for our trucks? I have been searching for a new replacement for mine. I have even looked on Doormans website.

The cable on mine either broke or was cut. With all the rust and road salt around here new is kinda a no brainer if I can find it.