Breaking yard etiquette. Discussion debate personal views please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is my take.
Every time you break a part that someone else may drive miles to find you are not only stealing from the yard that owns those cars and from that yards employees but you are also a ******* amateuer who has no heart and you are screwing over the next guy who really needs that part.
When you hammer a sensor because it is in your way?
You just ****** some random guy who needs that sensor to make his car run so he can go to work monday and feed his family.
Use tools like an adult would and take the parts you need and close the doors and close the hood and roll up the windows if you can.
Believe it or not, every ****** up thing you do, no matter how small
Ends up being a burden on your soul and it stacks up.
The easy way out of that is to try your hardest to not be a *******.

Tommy1234

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is my take.
Every time you break a part that someone else may drive miles to find you are not only stealing from the yard that owns those cars and from that yards employees but you are also a ******* amateuer who has no heart and you are screwing over the next guy who really needs that part.
When you hammer a sensor because it is in your way?
You just ****** some random guy who needs that sensor to make his car run so he can go to work monday and feed his family.
Use tools like an adult would and take the parts you need and close the doors and close the hood and roll up the windows if you can.
Believe it or not, every ****** up thing you do, no matter how small
Ends up being a burden on your soul and it stacks up.
The easy way out of that is to try your hardest to not be a *******.
Amen to that

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I take stuff apart in yards as carefully as I can and always try to close the hood & doors and such to keep water out and to be mindful of the next person coming along. However, I also see it as practice for when I go to work on my own vehicles. Which is a roundabout way of saying I've broken stuff while practicing.. Sure, sure, I can watch videos of people doing the same thing I'd like to do, but there's no replacement for actual experience.

Can't say I'm worried about "stealing" from a yard. I imagine they're already going to turn a profit off the vehicle once they scrap it. Not to mention that I've been charged for things that were absolutely no damn good (Like nasty old tires on wheels) by incompetent, narrow sighted employees and so I make up for it in other ways. "Hmm yeah, this MAP sensor. I could use that. Hey babes, stick this in your bra.."

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I take stuff apart in yards as carefully as I can and always try to close the hood & doors and such to keep water out and to be mindful of the next person coming along. However, I also see it as practice for when I go to work on my own vehicles. Which is a roundabout way of saying I've broken stuff while practicing.. Sure, sure, I can watch videos of people doing the same thing I'd like to do, but there's no replacement for actual experience.

Can't say I'm worried about "stealing" from a yard. I imagine they're already going to turn a profit off the vehicle once they scrap it. Not to mention that I've been charged for things that were absolutely no damn good (Like nasty old tires on wheels) by incompetent, narrow sighted employees and so I make up for it in other ways. "Hmm yeah, this MAP sensor. I could use that. Hey babes, stick this in your bra.."
Maybe not necessarily so worried about things worth pennies to a large salvage yard, BUT, more to thinger's point that someone may have really needed that part and this was the only option their budget allowed. Why break something that someone else might use..?

Richard

Jroctizzle

Reaction score
Few years ago I was looking for a radiator for my Tahoe and I saw a couple idiots punching holes in radiators with their screw drivers. I asked what was the point and it screws over people looking for that part. They just walked away, that being said I always try my best to remove a part properly without damage so others can come get what they need. I’ve also seen gauge clusters punched out (with what looked like screwdrivers) just because the manchildren that were in there before didn’t need it. It seems like that courtesy isn’t too common these days.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I think we have all broken things that we didn't need in a yard at some point, be it carelessness, aggravation, or accident.

As said by others, do your best to take things apart properly and not trash parts just because you don't need/want them. I've been fortunate to grab things I've needed that others cared enough to take off intact and set aside to get what they needed. I can try to return the favor.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Maybe not necessarily so worried about things worth pennies to a large salvage yard, BUT, more to thinger's point that someone may have really needed that part and this was the only option their budget allowed. Why break something that someone else might use..?

Richard

Oh, I had every intention of keeping & buying the parts I was pulling, up until they broke. Just recently we were pulling a passenger side rear door panel for my fiancée's Tahoe. I ended up breaking the plastic clips that hold the panel to the door- the very same reason why hers needs a door panel. Dammit. And of course amidst a sea of Tahoes, that was the only one in the yard with her interior color...