Brakes locking up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering what was exactly going on with my truck, today i fired it up, and started to back up, it went in gear, but it acted like both of my back brakes where locked up, i put it in drive, and after a little gas they finally popped lose and it drove fine

Never had this happen before, im assuming the drum brakes need a rebuild, any ideas?

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Mine does it all the time. It's the e-brake locking up. Use lots and lots of lube.

-Via Mobile-

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
If there was any moisture, the shoes were either froze or rusted to the drums. I've had that happen on many a vehicle.

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It was wet last night, it rained all day, should i just pb blast everything i can, e brake included?

I've never fooled with brakes other then putting rotors and pads on lol

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
You can just drive it the way it is. Make sure the little rubber plugs are on the back side of the drum (plug that covers the self adjust wheel). There's really not much you can do about it. You could try to PB blast everything (except the shoes obviously). You might want to pop a drum off and check your brake hardware, clean everything up real good while your in there. Whens the last time the brakes were done?

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not the e-brake, your ebrake is just your regular rear shoes and drum but is a engaged from the ebrake cable rather than the hydraulic system.

Best thing to do is take off the rear drum and inspect the shoes and the hardware, additionally make sure your ebrake and shoes are adjusted properly. Based soley on your original post, sounds like if the drum and shoes are in good shape, adjusting the shoes out on to the drum should fix it.

Chris.G.Jr.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's not the e-brake, your ebrake is just your regular rear shoes and drum but is a engaged from the ebrake cable rather than the hydraulic system.

Best thing to do is take off the rear drum and inspect the shoes and the hardware, additionally make sure your ebrake and shoes are adjusted properly. Based soley on your original post, sounds like if the drum and shoes are in good shape, adjusting the shoes out on to the drum should fix it.

ok i am confused while reading this, you first say its not the ebrake, then you say to check the ebrake......just trying to avoid confusion! :)

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can just drive it the way it is. Make sure the little rubber plugs are on the back side of the drum (plug that covers the self adjust wheel). There's really not much you can do about it. You could try to PB blast everything (except the shoes obviously). You might want to pop a drum off and check your brake hardware, clean everything up real good while your in there. Whens the last time the brakes were done?

The front brakes and rotors were done around 20,ooo ago, to my knowledge the drums have never been replaced :whymewhyme:

jps4keep said:

How would you go about removing your drums and adjusting them properly? i've never tore into drums as its my first vehicle with drums:hidesbehindsofa: