Brakes get hot!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
I've got a 96 Chevy with a problem. The damn brakes get hot going down hill. They don't get hot when I've got it in 3rd gear, I have an automatic. Anyway, replaced the rotors (NAPA ROTORS, THE GOOD ONES), calipers (NAPA CALIPERS), new front pads (NAPA PADS). The entire system bled. New master cylinder (KRAGEN).
New wheel bearings. The brakes seem to "lope" at slow stopping speeds. Also forgot to mention, adjusted the rear brakes. I'm concerned that the rotors are going to warp again. Yes I've replaced the rotors before, which also got hot in the past. The rear drum brakes are fairly new also. Any suggestions? :shrug:

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Are your drums adjusted up? Check them first. The less adjusted they are, the more work for your front brakes.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
They are adjusted. One thing I forgot to mention, I have the original steel rims for the truck. Could that also contribute to the problem of overheating the brakes? There doesn't seem like theres enough opening in them for proper air circulation.

withoutfear33

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure if this is your problem but i had the exact same problem either going down hill or driving for really long periods of time.. only the front brakes would get sticky on mine and almost get to the point to where they would lock up.. i put a new master cylender on it because the rest of the system was brand new and adjusted correctly, it fixed all my problems.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Did you make sure the rotors were degreased? Intermittent "pulse" at slow speeds can be spots of oil/brake fluid on the rotors that are grabbing the pads as they pass by.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've had similar probs to you when it comes to brakes. Went so far as to get a brand new set of rotors machined to try to eliminate the pulsation in the pedal. I replaced everything including the lines from the M/C down to the pads. The brakes on these trucks, for some reason are crap. Short of doing the hydro-boost upgrade, these rotors & pads really solved a lot of the problems, & they also eliminated the overheating & the subsequent warping of the rotors. And, they have lasted. Even when I drive the truck harder than I should, considering that this is not new vehicle anymore.
Check these. Best brakes on the truck, so far. And, I've gone through a lot of 'em, trying to get this thing to stop the way I figure it should.

Ebay Item number: 280754244835

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ceramix pads and drilled and slotted rotors :evillol:

sewlow58, those pads are actually semi-metallic(semi-metallic = pads that are a mix of metallic and organic). Since ceramic pads are considered organic and those pads are low-metal content pads, they're technically semi-metallic. I thought that price was a little low at first, true ceramic pads would be close to $100/wheel for a good brand.

Brands that make good pure non-metallic ceramic pads are: Akebono, Power Stop Evolution, Bendix CT, Satisfied, and Ceramix(Raybestos QuietStop).

Advance Auto: Part Number - ACT369
Autozone: Part Number - DGC369 (contains less than 25% metal in powder form)
O'Reilly's: Part Number - QC369 (contains less than 10% metal in powder form)
Napa: Part Number - UP UP7259BX

Those are part numbers I've researched, the best way to tell if there's metal particles is to stick a small refrigerator magnet to the pad, if it sticks atall, then there's metal powder in there. If there are small shiny reflective bits in there, then it's metal shavings and should be avoided.

Last edited:

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
I cleaned the rotors with a brake cleaner when they were installed.

HRV-LS1

95 GMC
Reaction score
Sewlow58, I'll try those you mentioned when my brakes or rotors go bad. Thanks.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Ceramix pads and drilled and slotted rotors :evillol:

sewlow58, those pads are actually semi-metallic(semi-metallic = pads that are a mix of metallic and organic). Since ceramic pads are considered organic and those pads are low-metal content pads, they're technically semi-metallic. I thought that price was a little low at first, true ceramic pads would be close to $100/wheel for a good brand.

Brands that make good pure non-metallic ceramic pads are: Akebono, Power Stop Evolution, Bendix CT, Satisfied, and Ceramix(Raybestos QuietStop).

Advance Auto: Part Number - ACT369
Autozone: Part Number - DGC369 (contains less than 25% metal in powder form)
O'Reilly's: Part Number - QC369 (contains less than 10% metal in powder form)
Napa: Part Number - UP UP7259BX

Those are part numbers I've researched, the best way to tell if there's metal particles is to stick a small refrigerator to the pad, if it sticks atall, then there's metal powder in there. If there are small shiny reflective bits in there, then it's metal shavings and should be avoided.

I just C&P'd real quick, didn't look too close. The ebay seller also sells the rotors seperate with no pads, so if you want to get some local you know how to identify them, courtesy of Mobs.:) I know I got the ceramics & I DID pay more than the link lists them at. One of the top 5 mods to my '98. Big, big diff!