Brakes and diff questions plus clutch options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gonzo4folife

Reaction score
I have been looking for brake lines online all the way around the my truck i have a 92 1500 (4.3, 5 speed truck) and one of my brake lines popped and they just are old and crusty so i want to replace them all. any recommendations looking for stainless nothing to fancy.

Also with diffs will an Impala posi fit into the obs diffs or no? because i have a posi diff laying around and it is laying waste

One more lol and i need to replace my clutch aswell i have been searching i dont think the clutch has ever been changed from the previous owner. and clutch lines aswell

So basically i have a 20 year old rust free truck that needs everything
You must be registered for see images attach

Urambo Tauro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How fancy is too fancy? Not sure if you're looking specifically for pre-made lines, but nickel-copper tubing is a good alternative if you don't mind bending and flaring them yourself.

gonzo4folife

Reaction score
How fancy is too fancy? Not sure if you're looking specifically for pre-made lines, but nickel-copper tubing is a good alternative if you don't mind bending and flaring them yourself.
braided is too fancy lol but pre made is what im looking for and im not experienced enough to bend and flare them myself

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The 8.5-inch rearend was used on vehicles up to 1999, The 8.6-inch (8.625) was used on 2000 and later-year trucks. The easiest way to tell the difference is by looking at the brakes. All 8.6-inch rears have disc brakes, and 8.5-inch units have drum brakes. With the exception being the Impala SS & the 9c1, which had discs.

I have an Eaton Limited Slip carrier ('posi') in my '98 from an Impala diff, with another just waiting around to be installed in my '97.
The early trucks ('88/'89?) had a different spline count from the rest of the model run. Your's being a '92 will be the same as the Impala's. IIRC, 30 splines.
I have a complete Impala diff. sitting here. It's about 1 & 5/8" narrower per side than the stock 400 diff. It can & has been made to fit the trucks before.
That's the coupe's diff that's narrower. The wagon's diffs are wider than the coupe's.
Need to lop off the upper link mounts on the pumpkin & the coil spring perches, then weld on some leaf spring perches with the proper pinion angle dialed in. If I had a welder I'd do it, but welding & dusty upholstery shops don't mix well. Can you say...spontaneous combustion? Lol!
The Impala diffs come with stupid tall ratios though. 3.23's, 3.08's, 2.73's, 2.56's & even 2.41's.
10-bolt carriers are specific to a series of gears. A Series 2 carrier will work with 2.56 and higher gears (numerically lower) such as 2.41.
The Series 3 carriers are good for use with 2.73 and lower gears (numerically higher), so 3.42 and 3.73 gears will work.
Unless you have the two units side by side, it is nearly impossible to tell them apart. There is a difference, but you can’t see it unless you set both units on their side, and then measure the distance from that surface to the face where the ring gear attaches.

You must be registered for see images

8.5-inch Deck Heights

2.56 and numerically lower gears = 1.530-inch (L)

2.73 and numerically higher gears = 1.720-inch (R)

It is important to use new bearings, seals, ring gear bolts and other essential installation components when doing this swap.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Dont worry about bending the brake lines, get some pre-flared ones from a local parts store (in case the fittings are wrong) and slowly bend them with your fingers. Just do a lot of small bends for a large total radius bend and you'll be fine. I have 3 different tubing benders and this is what I still do 90% of the time unless I'm dealing with thin-walled lines.