Brake light switch clip tricks?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Any tricks or tips on making it easier to install the brake switch retainer?
I’m not having any luck right now

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Any tricks or tips on making it easier to install the brake switch retainer?
I’m not having any luck right now
It's a pain in the a$$, that was the most difficult part of the switch replacement on my crew cab. If they always go out after the power booster is replaced, why not do that as part of the job? Mine literally went out a week after the hydro boost unit was replaced....
To attempt to answer the question, it helps to have the steering column tilted up(if you have a tilt column) and the driver's seat moved back as far as possible, to give more room to stand on your head on the floorboard....not really standing on your head, but it helps to be flexible and not very thick. I played with that clip a bunch to get it off, then I just happened to touch it the right way and it popped off. Then when I had the new switch on, it took me a bit to get the clip reinstalled. I think it requires a combination of finesse and smacking.
This was on my '97 C3500 crew cab long bed; I don't have any experience with the early style trucks.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced the switch in my K2500 last spring, after doing some research on YouTube and the forums I figured my best bet was to try and find a replacement retainer; luckily I found a pack of different style clips at my local O'Reilly's but I believe you'd be able to find the pack at most any place that has a Dorman "Help!" rack.

I simply cut my old retainer with a pair of cutters, swapped out the brake light switches and installed a new retainer. Probably not the recommended way but it worked for me, I helped my father replace the HB in his Duramax truck and I'm definitely glad I decided to just cut it and replace the clip.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to get my son to clip it back on as his hands we’re just a bit smaller and he was able to snap it on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I see people complain a lot about the brake switch clip and I really haven't had that much trouble with either style. Yeah the early style rectangular folded puzzle piece is a little weird, if that's the one you have then I'll agree it isn't exactly intuitive on making it connect, you just gotta fiddle with it a bit. The later circular style one is fairly easy to push back in place. To remove those I rotate it around til I see the little circle in the side, it's split right there - I put snap ring pliers in there and gently spread it and slide it off the pedal.

Richard

vince72

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The replacement clips came with both rectangular and circular. Which should it be for a 96 model or does it matter?
Il have to continue to fight with it after work today lol

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The replacement clips came with both rectangular and circular. Which should it be for a 96 model or does it matter?
Il have to continue to fight with it after work today lol
My 96 K2500 had the rectangle clip, I used a circular one when I replaced it.
I don't think that it matters, if it helps I used a pair of needle nose pliers to spread the clip a little and once I got it clicked onto the ridge I went around it with a pick to make sure it was bent in the correct direction.