Brake light switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With the poor quality of replacement parts right now I'd at least try to repair the original switch. If you can't get it apart or screw it up in the process what harm did you do?
I too have had success rebuilding switches of all kinds,even some that were not designed to be taken apart.
I haven't been impressed with brake switch quality from OEM 30 years ago (they had recalls for a few years for bad ones, btw) and I've seen brand new ones, both of them seem to me equally as about as bad as you can get and the part still work. Anecdotal evidence for sure but we forget back when these trucks were brand new, even the GM parts were sometimes deficient. Another great example would be the brake flex hoses, some of which lasted several decades, others of which got replaced under warranty by the original owners when the truck was barely a couple years old.

There is something to the school of thought of "an old part that is still working is a proven part", though.. so if a cleaning gets the switch working again, I'd agree that probably applies. Having seen them with broken leafs is what makes me feel otherwise.

Richard

mwilliams55555

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Obnoxious vehicles are a reason why anti-car/anti-internal-combustion laws get passed.

The War on Cars is real, and enthusiasts are losing the battles.
It's not loud at all really until you get 2,000-2,500 rpm or so, tips extended past the bumper, have driven it for 12 years like that, and I live a block away from the police department

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Many of the radio buttons are supposed to be backlit, but often the bulbs are burnt out...
...One more question quick, does your heating/radio/cd player controls light up ? The only lights on the dash that light up on mine are the gauge cluster and the little light beside the power button for the stereo.

Pro tip: Use the dimmer switch to reduce the brightness of the bulbs. Does wonders to extend the life of those tiny, hard to find & change bulbs. In addition, that will also reduce the strain on your eyes at night.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't been impressed with brake switch quality from OEM 30 years ago (they had recalls for a few years for bad ones, btw) and I've seen brand new ones, both of them seem to me equally as about as bad as you can get and the part still work. Anecdotal evidence for sure but we forget back when these trucks were brand new, even the GM parts were sometimes deficient. Another great example would be the brake flex hoses, some of which lasted several decades, others of which got replaced under warranty by the original owners when the truck was barely a couple years old.

There is something to the school of thought of "an old part that is still working is a proven part", though.. so if a cleaning gets the switch working again, I'd agree that probably applies. Having seen them with broken leafs is what makes me feel otherwise.

Richard
Then the other angle is the old school way of fixing what you've got ans when that doesn't work then go buy new.