Brake light switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Natalie1981

Reaction score
I got it guys!!! Thank you all for your advice/input!! I ended up using a long straight screwdriver to pop the round clip off and then it was pretty easy UNTIL trying to get the wiring harness back into the new switch...I probably would have died of laughter if I would have seen the way I was twisted underneath the dash!! It's a good thing I'm small because it DEFINATELY is a job for someone small!!
One more question quick, does your heating/radio/cd player controls light up ? The only lights on the dash that light up on mine are the gauge cluster and the little light beside the power button for the stereo.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I got it guys!!! Thank you all for your advice/input!! I ended up using a long straight screwdriver to pop the round clip off and then it was pretty easy UNTIL trying to get the wiring harness back into the new switch...I probably would have died of laughter if I would have seen the way I was twisted underneath the dash!! It's a good thing I'm small because it DEFINATELY is a job for someone small!!
One more question quick, does your heating/radio/cd player controls light up ? The only lights on the dash that light up on mine are the gauge cluster and the little light beside the power button for the stereo.
Many of the radio buttons are supposed to be backlit, but often the bulbs are burnt out. The radio in my Burb is like that. The one in my crew cab has almost 100,000 less miles on it, and all the lights still work on it. The cassette deck unfortunately does not.
The HVAC switch panel is supposed to be lit as well, but some bulbs could be out in it too.
And yes, it helps to be small and agile in under dash work. Being a professional contortionist or a yoga master would be good too....

Mikes98

Reaction score
It's cramped under the 95-up dashboards but it's not impossible. I've changed out several. The trick is picking a tool that can spread the circular/split style retainer clip.
And here's a pic of several retainer clip styles; your '98 should have the circular type at the top of the pic. Note the split in the middle ring; that's where you spread it to slide it off.
You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Yeah, those clips. Some evil design engineer came up with these little bits of hell. The actual switch can be popped open ...just some simple switch contacts you can clean and put the thing back in.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, those clips. Some evil design engineer came up with these little bits of hell. The actual switch can be popped open ...just some simple switch contacts you can clean and put the thing back in.
Yep, just a few sets of simple leaf switches. I clean them all the time on old pinball machines. I've opened a couple of failed brake switches to discover a leaf or two had broken. Don't think I would bother cleaning a brake switch up once I had gone to the trouble to remove it, just replace with new.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, just a few sets of simple leaf switches. I clean them all the time on old pinball machines. I've opened a couple of failed brake switches to discover a leaf or two had broken. Don't think I would bother cleaning a brake switch up once I had gone to the trouble to remove it, just replace with new.

Richard
With the poor quality of replacement parts right now I'd at least try to repair the original switch. If you can't get it apart or screw it up in the process what harm did you do?
I too have had success rebuilding switches of all kinds,even some that were not designed to be taken apart.

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Obnoxious vehicles are a reason
That older lady that plugged her nose when I drove by her standing in a parking lot would be another. Sure I have a high flow cat and some rumble but my old girl ain't real smelly. Maybe looks smelly. Besides, her generation started it and I'm sure it was a bit worse then... :)

Last edited: