Box Bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bought my 91 Silverado 2500 just a while ago with no box on it, the truck has a 3" body lift, but I'm pretty sure some of the bolts for the box are missing. Will I need special bolts, or can I just go down to Fastenal, get some Grade 8's of the right length and bolt on my new box?

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, thats what I was figuring, but my friend had said that they were some crazy HD bolts, but looking at the body lift kits, the bolts just look your average Grade 8's.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if they are grade 8's. Although when I pulled my box off the bolts were pretty rusted up so they very well could've been. You can pick up the box bolts just about anywhere that sells hardware though. Did you source a box for it yet?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got mine from lowes, but stock size, they were metric, and kinda of on the expensive side, like $4 or 5 a bolt, but you'd need 3 inches longer. I think the ones I got were 1-1/2 or 2 inch. I matched them up to the length and thread of the ones I took off it.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if they are grade 8's. Although when I pulled my box off the bolts were pretty rusted up so they very well could've been. You can pick up the box bolts just about anywhere that sells hardware though. Did you source a box for it yet?

I am looking at 2 boxes, one is in better shape, but I think the distance from me is too far, the other is rusted on the wheel wells, but comes with tail lights, a tail gait, and is black/silver/black, so the black part would be an easy repaint, and it's only $100 and about 5 miles away, so will probably get that.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good deal, I'm looking for a new box for my truck myself as the wheel wells are rusted right through. Damn near impossible to find one in New York though that isn't rusted and if you do they want an arm and a leg for it.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just get upper arches, cut the old junk out and weld in new ones, use panel bonding adhesive,(I wouldn't), have somebody weld them in whatever.

1Kurgan1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I ended up finding a matching color box for $200, doesn't come with a tailgate, but the driver side is mint and the pass side has some surface rust on the wheel well lip, but nothing major, extremely good price compared to others I found. Only issue is, the guy had to cut off 2 of the bolts holding it on, anyone know if it will be ok to drill and retap the welded on nuts? Or should I cut them out and just use normal nuts (granted I doubt I would be able to weld them in there).