Bolt busted in the head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
I broke one of the oil filter assembly bolts off inside of the engine block. Was one of the scariest things considering my truck was on and i was under it tightening the bolt as tight as possible to lessen the leak, ended up snapping the bolt and hot oil shot out all over the place, reflexes though caused me to get out from under the truck and shut it off in seconds without getting oil on me.

But i was also lucky enough to have the bolt break off just enough to snag it with some vice grips and twist it out.

Honestly if you ever have a bolt break off badly enough to where you can't get a hold of it, its always easiest to weld a nut or extended bolt onto where it broke off and unscrew it out

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For all who is wondering, we got it fixed correctly. There was no way we could salvage the threads, but I took a crack at it and was able to bust up the easy out and drill bit to get what was left of the bolt out. Because of the destroyed threads we used a helicoil. I bought it at the local Napa store for $30 bucks, came with a dozen coils, a special tap and a unique install tool. Be sure to pull the tap out at the store and buy a drill bit there because it required a J bit which we had to buy. As long as the bit has enough material to cut out to make a fairly smooth hole it will work, then tap the hole. Put a coil on the install tool and insert to the bottom of the hole, unscrew and the coil stays in the hole. Then your're good to go with a new manifold bolt.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
For all who is wondering, we got it fixed correctly. There was no way we could salvage the threads, but I took a crack at it and was able to bust up the easy out and drill bit to get what was left of the bolt out. Because of the destroyed threads we used a helicoil. I bought it at the local Napa store for $30 bucks, came with a dozen coils, a special tap and a unique install tool. Be sure to pull the tap out at the store and buy a drill bit there because it required a J bit which we had to buy. As long as the bit has enough material to cut out to make a fairly smooth hole it will work, then tap the hole. Put a coil on the install tool and insert to the bottom of the hole, unscrew and the coil stays in the hole. Then your're good to go with a new manifold bolt.

Don't forget to break the tang off :cool:

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
if the manifold is not warped that should work without silicone, just the gasket. ive had a couple manifold bolts broke on my 97 454 for years with no leaks. don't know why they broke, they've never been off, haha.

Common occurance. The manifolds expand and contract. and usually break the rear most bolts off in the head.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Now you've learned what everyone else has had to. E-Z out's sucks. Should have drilled with with a left handed drill bit, and if that didn't work, tap it and put a left handed bolt into the other bolt.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Now you've learned what everyone else has had to. E-Z out's sucks. Should have drilled with with a left handed drill bit, and if that didn't work, tap it and put a left handed bolt into the other bolt.

He used a left handed bit but drilled so far off center that he managed to drill the threads. And the helicoil stuff acts like what you said but we can use a normal manifold bolt instead of an odd one. She is finally all put back together, dad just needs to start picking up tools out if the garage.