JB Weld on accessory bolt studs in aluminum heads?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Decided to go with Time-sert. Using a spare 3/8-16 bolt, some white out, and digital calipers I marked exactly 0.501" of thread depth in the bracket holes. These are AFR 912s so should any follow me with them when they mention in the install instructions to clip the accessory bracket bolts that's how much depth you have to play with. But I wouldn't press it with Aluminum. Install some inserts while the heads are off and save yourself the aggravation. And switch to all studs because clipping bolts no matter what AFR prints in their manual is dumb. Time-sert, beyond having generally the best reviews, also have the best depth insert that works for my clearance as they have a 0.400" insert. I'll do the alternator bracket studs first as it's easiest to get to. My problem child is on the AC bracket but that requires the PS pump pulley to come off again. Time-serts are expensive but I'm so much into this build that saving $50 now is forest through the trees so I'll go with best fitment.

FullBlowncustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever put a tap in there and clean the threaded area out well? And shoot a bunch of carb cleaner to make sure it's crystal-clean in there?

JB Weld works great and I could tell you some really good personal JB Weld stories. You would be able to get those studs out if you epoxied. Just heat up the studs real hot with a torch, the epoxied end will get hot and you can walk it out with a vise grips. And if you just put 'enough' but not too much heat on them (and your bolt threads were real nice to start with) you might be able to do it w/o damaging the JB Weld threads. But then again, like you say, you might never need to. See how it goes in the meantime with the studs you put in.

I HATE to ADMIT IT LOL... But in a pinch, in a hurry for a weekend Grass drag race last summer I used the High Heat one in the syringe, Mixed it up and used on a cylinder that cracked with coolant leaking in to cylinder. I then baked it in oven at 200 degrees, removed it and used Dremel to port it out for new O-Ring gasket to head. It ran three rounds with friends kid on it in Vintage Open Mod class like a SUMBIT.... Little blue colored vintage Wahl chassis sled. Still running today LOL..
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Attachments

• Bad 670 cylinder.JPG
    Bad 670 cylinder.JPG
    250.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20221205_114807233.jpg
    IMG_20221205_114807233.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 2
  • PC08000198876 (4)9999kkjjh.JPG
    PC08000198876 (4)9999kkjjh.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 2