Bolt busted in the head

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck specs: 98 Chevrolet K3500 with a 7.4L 454

Ok so we have a simple straight forward exhuast leak at the manifold from a bolt snapping off. Pulled the manifold, studs and spark plugs. Went to the snapped of one, this is all my day's f*ck up btw, he didn't center the punch so when he drilled it out he almost hit the thread in the heads. But he still tried to use an easy out and managed to snap it off just as far into the head as the bolt. So now we can't drill it because we have that hard easy out stuck in there.

You must be registered for see images attach

At all cost we want to avoid pulling the heads, it's unlikely we will be fortunate enough to be so lucky but all help would be awesome at this point.

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
damn dude that suck! idk if there is any way to weld something to it maybe :shrug:

Bearcat91

CRASH
Reaction score
maybe try a chisel or punch and try and hammer it out...idk how to explain it haha but line the punch and angle it so that when you hammer it it turns the bolt

John Deere 4240

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Least it ain't my truck lol, the bolt was snapped flat so there was nothing to hit to make it turn. I use that method a lot when I bust a bolt at work. The easy out is flush and I haven't even looked at the drill bit yet lol. I wana pull the head and take it to school and machine it out, but he doesn't wana mess with pulling the head.

tscherbi

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been there man!! That sucks. What I did was chisel and punch the easy out and drill bit into peices. Then got a new easy out, heated the head up to expand the head around the broke of bolt and it came right out with a little work. Good luck

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
might get lucky with a small carbide drill at high speed. drill a little, see if you can get part of anything out, drill a little more, repeat. if you get it back to just the broken/drilled bolt, then I would drill it oversize for a heli-coil. if its off a little one way or the other you should have enough slop in the manifold hole to still line up the bolt. if not, drill the hole in the manifold larger. ive done this on manifolds that have been distorted enough that all the bolts wont start, just open up all the holes and you can move it around to get them all started.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If he doesn't wanna mess with pulling the head just bolt it up minus that bolt and use red rtv silicone on in where that bolt is

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if the manifold is not warped that should work without silicone, just the gasket. ive had a couple manifold bolts broke on my 97 454 for years with no leaks. don't know why they broke, they've never been off, haha.