Blown oil cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So today went to leave work, fired my truck up backed up and noticed it was leaking a trail and my oil pressure went to 0 (wasn't making and weird sounds yet) and looks like one of the oil cooler lines blew, less then a month old AC Delco lines, gonna get it towed and looked at, so besides the lines there anything else it could be, the front diff is covered in oil nothing any farther back then that, any other things it could be? No leaks or oil loss before this, ran mint

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it might have blown out of the cheap quick connect, maybe was just on the edge of seating and vibrated just enough to blow out. unless it was a faulty crimp I don't see the line itself blowing from pressure. if I don't just remove them, I get braided hyd. hoses made and use threaded swivel fittings. ive never had luck with the stock type lines, always leak at the crimp and I just don't like those push click quick connects in the block

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it might have blown out of the cheap quick connect, maybe was just on the edge of seating and vibrated just enough to blow out. unless it was a faulty crimp I don't see the line itself blowing from pressure. if I don't just remove them, I get braided hyd. hoses made and use threaded swivel fittings. ive never had luck with the stock type lines, always leak at the crimp and I just don't like those push click quick connects in the block

Thanks for the input, when I first got it 2 years or so ago I had the lines done they threw on Dorman lines maybe 1.5 years latter one had a slight leak kept an eye on it, then it got bad enough to leave drops on the ground so picked up some AC Delco ones cause heard they were the best stock lines you could get lol so much for that ill see what it ends up being and hopefully the engine is ok

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you look at the line, did it actually blow apart?

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
did you look at the line, did it actually blow apart?

Its hard to see cause of that plastic that they put over the lines to protect them, from where they screw into the radiator looks fine its somewhere between there and near the front diff, crawled under and could not really ID a spot so much oil under there

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
update? im curious if the line actually failed.

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
update? im curious if the line actually failed.

Only update is got it towed to the shop I should know Monday what's wrong, looked at it some more can't really see anything other then all the oil and the oil cooler lines seem to be attached underneath still, I hope the engine is ok cause it ran for a minute or 2 with zero oil pressure when this all happened didn't make any strange sounds

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The oem style lines tend to blow apart at the swaged ends:

You must be registered for see images attach

The rubber lines soften and pop right out of the swage.

Diesels have the same issue with the oil cooler lines, But we just ditch the lines and go to braided stainless and fittings. It's so common that a small "cottage industry" has popped up around selling them. I did mine almost 6 years ago now with braided stainless and Teflon inner. Not even a hint of a wet seep since.

Not sure if there's a similar option for gassers, but it can't be that hard to fabricate. Lines are lines, the fittings we use on diesels for the oil cooler should be the same so you'd just have to make sure the block fittings are sorted out.

Or some guys have just plugged the ports int he block. I'm not a fan of that option myself.....

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just find it hard to believe these lines went in less then a month, someone else mentioned the braided lines ill have to look more into that, and same here not gonna block them off, they are there for a reason

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the fittings for the oil cooler side of the rad are the goofy flare with an o-ring.