Blown oil cooler lines?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
the 6.5 diesels are gutless junk anyway, weak blocks and weak hp/tq. they are a completely different animal than a gas engine, there is no comparison. the oil lines are the same gas or diesel, crap. your engine should be fine, you weren't under load when it failed, fix the lines and go on with life. the factory oil cooler in the trans does a marginal job of being efective anyway, just plug the block and be done with it, your not going to get any more life out of your engine with it.

Not quite true. The oiling system is responsible for removing heat from critical engine parts, and especially so in the diesel with more than double the compression of a gas engine. When the oil temperatures get too high the oil cannot remove heat as fast. Get the oil far too hot and it starts breaking down. It is not hard to push the oil temps up with towing or simply spirited driving on a hot day at low speeds.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not quite true. The oiling system is responsible for removing heat from critical engine parts, and especially so in the diesel with more than double the compression of a gas engine. When the oil temperatures get too high the oil cannot remove heat as fast. Get the oil far too hot and it starts breaking down. It is not hard to push the oil temps up with towing or simply spirited driving on a hot day at low speeds.

This ^^^ I forget the percentage but engine oil is responsible for a surprisingly large amount of the engine cooling.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
This ^^^ I forget the percentage but engine oil is responsible for a surprisingly large amount of the engine cooling.

It is and more so in the 506 casting 6.5's that incorporate piston cooling oil jets. The gassers do not have this feature iirc, but the oil still carries a significant portion of the thermal load. Only way of drawing away any heat from the crank and big end bearings. Pulls some heat out of the block skirting as well.

Its also the only way of pulling any significant heat out of the lifters, camshaft, rocker arms, pivots, valve stem tips, timing gear, and oil pump and piston wrist pins. There's a lot of heat load in that list.

Ironically, the piston cooling jets also caused weakened main webs in the 506 castings of the diesels. Gm just couldn't get much right in those blocks.

It took a redesign by the company that bought the rights to manufacturing the 6.5 to fix all the weak points. Now they handle up to 550 ft/lbs at 1800 rpm. That's a good 110 ftlbs over the rating of the 4L80E most of them are bolted to and a good 200+ ftlbs over what gm could pull out of them. Its still no 6 BT, but no slouch either. Too bad it took 20 plus years, a change of ownership, a redesign and a navistar foundry to get it right...:rofl:

Last edited:

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: one of the lines was not seated correctly and it came out

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: one of the lines was not seated correctly and it came out

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

You should just delete them. Unless you tow a lot they aren't really needed. Unless you spend the money on braided lines an the fittings they will leak again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bturner333