Binding and slowing effect when I turn or when I reverse...started today HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

irishluder

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My truck is a 2500 Burb with 7.4l and 80 series tranny and 14bolt FF rear end.

My rear brakes have needed to be adjusted for a bit and has caused a pulling effect to the drivers side under hard braking...today that became more noticable when I drove my truck from its parking spot.

I drove approximately 10 miles to a home depot and when I had to reverse in the parking lot I could feel the trucks rear brakes activate and clamp down the further I backed up... I thought that my auto adjusters may have been the cause? So I then turned into the spot and could feel the brakes activate in forward motion but it binded the more I took an aggresive turn/angle.

I still thought that it was brake related, but I noticed more and more that it also was turning related...which doesn't correlate to the drum brakes?

I dont know much at all about rear diffs... could this be the end of my 14bolt?

Tommorow I am going to jack her up and see if one of the rear drums is locked up and drain the rear end....what should I look for inside the rear diff?

Anyone care to share their experience with this stuff>> I know these are common diffs

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
does it have hydroboost brakes, if so that can have an effect on it ,check power steering fluid level thats what powers the hydro boost

irishluder

Reaction score
G80? It has the 14 bolt FF and 4L80e transmission

Yes to the hydroboost, I'll check that...didn't think about that.

Thanks guys,

Any input is appreciated :D

irishluder

Reaction score
Problem sovled!

I feel very relieved but also DUMB for overlooking the obvious...

I took the diff pan off and drained the fluid, looked clean and smelled fine.
No metal parts in the bottom of the pumkin and all gears looked in tact...

Since both rear tires were off the ground, I decided to start her up and put her in drive to watch the diff work and see if I could see if anything was "binding". Well I put her in drive and the rear wheel didn't move, E- brake was off of course.

So I tapped the gas and the truck moved forward on the jack stands, luckily I had a nice large wheel block up front to keep it from running off the jack stands:Whoa:

So I was thinking WTF! did it do that; I have the rear off the ground, then it hit me.... My 3 year old son who absolutely LOVES my Burb and loves to push buttons must have activated the 4x4. Checked the dash and the 4x4 HI was lit up:banghead::owned:

So just like in wiring issues, check the stupid and simple stuff first!!!