Best way to remove 20 years of grime on door pulls?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
anyone know a good product for restoring the vinyl on the door pulls. I have a no power anything door with manual windows

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a similar approach that produced good results in my Monte Carlo, and it might be a little less dangerous than the brake clean. Instead of brake cleaner, use 91% isopropyl alcohol, AKA rubbing alcohol. You want the 91% or better for minimal water content. I also like the Meguiars brand conditioner/detailer spray for after cleaning, you'll need to moisturize any surface you hit with the alcohol because it will dry things out like crazy.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I'd pass on the brake cleaner. It's a pretty aggressive solvent.

A worn-out toothbrush and some Windex will get almost any dirt out of the soft plastic interior parts. If you've got something that's really tough to get clean, you can use a little bit of Dow Scrubbing Bubbles. Do beware though it's stronger than the Windex and can remove color from parts, though generally only if they're already really weakened.

Some things on the interior are just plain weak to begin with. Once it's got some years on it, you can remove the white printing from some of the controls with just a wet rag. :(

Richard

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Thx. I guess this would apply to head rests too.

Done that too.

I spray it on the rag, so it isn't full on to the plastic. Have yet to lift the color out of anything yet.

A worn-out toothbrush and some Windex will get almost any dirt out of the soft plastic interior parts. If you've got something that's really tough to get clean, you can use a little bit of Dow Scrubbing Bubbles. Do beware though it's stronger than the Windex and can remove color from parts, though generally only if they're already really weakened.

Richard

I will have to try that next time

95bucket

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Some things on the interior are just plain weak to begin with. Once it's got some years on it, you can remove the white printing from some of the controls with just a wet rag. :(

Richard

I'm actually trying to dye these parts black so I need pure vinyl without crud jammed into the vinyl texture. Maybe it won't matter to the dye. Idk. Figured the cleaner, the better.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Read the instructions closely for whatever dye you intend to use. If you're using SEM (top quality stuff) they recommend using TSP (trisodium phosphate) to clean plastics; dunno about vinyl or rubberized plastic. However it's very good at removing oils which would otherwise prevent good adhesion. TSP can be a little tricky to find; try a paint store (house paint.) Failing that, some hardware stores will have TSP substitute (sodium carbonate), which still works fairly well.

Richard

tom_h

Reaction score
"Goof Off Heavy Duty" works well for removing ground-in, dirt & grime.

Don't confuse it with "Goo Gone" or other variants of "Goof Off" -- they contain solvents which might damage some plastics & soft materials.
With any bew cleaner, try it first in a concealed location.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, those names are wayyyyy too close for comfort. The original "Goof Off" (also labeled as "Pro Strength Remover") is very much a powerful solvent and I would be willing to put money on that it could damage the weak materials used in the interiors of most vehicles.

"Goo Gone" is actually fairly tame, though. In fact, I rarely use it because it often doesn't do what I need it to.

Have never used "Goof Off Heavy Duty" so I can't comment on that one.

Richard