Best water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Did you drill the block for that? I thought Vortec blocks lacked a water passage for that.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they were Japanese, but the way things get moved-around, it's hard to tell without contacting the"manufacturer" or looking on the box.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you drill the block for that? I thought Vortec blocks lacked a water passage for that.

Nope. I have not had a Vortec block in my possesion that has not been drilled and I am going on 10 of them. The factory Vortec head blocks off the water port. My aftermarket heads are drilled. TBI water pump and spacing the accessories and crank pulley 1/4" will simplify my setup. With the forward facing plenum space is at somewhat of a premium where the OEM vortec pump has the heater and bypass connections. My new new aluminum radiator has a 3/4" heater return fitting built into the cold side tank. The only external connection to the pump will be the lower radiator hose.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I thought they were Japanese, but the way things get moved-around, it's hard to tell without contacting the"manufacturer" or looking on the box.

I believe the company is Japanese, but that doesn't mean the pumps themselves are made there.... A lot of Sony stuff is Chinese, for example. Still a large Japanese OEM likely has decent quality even if made in China.

racprops

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drive a 1993 Chevy custom Star Craft G20 Van with a TBI 350 with dual air in Phoenix AZ. I lost the original water pump. As I was running a Large 6 blade Fan with a themo clutch, so I was looking for a water pump with heavy duty bearings and extra flow.

I bought a Edelbrock water pump with those features, and so far with a 30K miles the Van barely ever runs warm, she stays at 190 all the time . She does not over heat any any time.

Rich

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I looked heavy into this when I was replacing my TBI water pump. Many of the new cast iron replacements you see out there are rebranded GMB. Unless you find some new old American stock or it's remanufactured in an older casting, that's what you're bound to find. The GMB logo will be laser etched on the front of the pump.

I bought a GMB pump. It was Chinese, but it hasn't leaked yet and keeps my high compression 383 in check. Mine came painted black and included gaskets. I should also note I bought the high volume model.

Nice to see the extra effort than my previous raw-cast graphite-rubbed replacements. Although it didn't hurt operation, they became rusty immediately if left uncoated.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I looked heavy into this when I was replacing my TBI water pump. Many of the new cast iron replacements you see out there are rebranded GMB. Unless you find some new old American stock or it's remanufactured in an older casting, that's what you're bound to find. The GMB logo will be laser etched on the front of the pump.

I bought a GMB pump. It was Chinese, but it hasn't leaked yet and keeps my high compression 383 in check. Mine came painted black and included gaskets. I should also note I bought the high volume model.

Nice to see the extra effort than my previous raw-cast graphite-rubbed replacements. Although it didn't hurt operation, they became rusty immediately if left uncoated.

I thought about painting my Gates pump but it was winter, and I just needed to get it installed. It didn't rust until I hit it with degreaser and the pressure washer. I don't know what they coated it with, but for something that looked like oil it sure lasted longer than I expected.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drive a 1993 Chevy custom Star Craft G20 Van with a TBI 350 with dual air in Phoenix AZ. I lost the original water pump. As I was running a Large 6 blade Fan with a themo clutch, so I was looking for a water pump with heavy duty bearings and extra flow.

I bought a Edelbrock water pump with those features, and so far with a 30K miles the Van barely ever runs warm, she stays at 190 all the time . She does not over heat any any time.

Rich

I think the bigger bearing is more important for overall life expectency than anything when you have clutch fan turning on it.

Are you running the Flex-a-lite replacement blade?