Best oil pump manufacturers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The ones I have seen pictures of that have broken, all break in the same basic spot. Where the casting was made thinner. When they are breaking in stock engines, they do not belong anywhere close to a performance engine or anything I own. My Mexican GM crate engine had the bad pump design in it and I swapped it for a M99HVS.

You must be registered for see images attach

dlindsey19

Reaction score
Unless you had a newer GM crate engine or a newer Mexican built truck that still came with a L31 up until 2007 you have probably never owned that pump. I have seen a couple of Mercruiser engines that came with the weak casting that failed because of a broken oil pump as well.
The engine in my 94 was original, windage tray was fine. The junkyard engine I wound up putting in it with 162,000 miles and was original to the truck, was fine. The 99 Denali, 96 Tahoe and 96 Silverado I owned all had the original engines and I never had an issue with a windage tray. Maybe you just have bad luck. Never gave me an issue at all.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The engine in my 94 was original, windage tray was fine. The junkyard engine I wound up putting in it with 162,000 miles and was original to the truck, was fine. The 99 Denali, 96 Tahoe and 96 Silverado I owned all had the original engines and I never had an issue with a windage tray. Maybe you just have bad luck. Never gave me an issue at all.

I had the pickup tube fall out of the GM pump, addressed it after the cam swap. As I said you never had the bad pump to start with if they were OE built engines from 96-99 or maybe 2000. I never had a windage tray issue. I just swapped to a 5qt pan and the 5qt pan requires a longer windage tray than the one that came on a 4qt pan equipped engine. GM used a shorter tray with the 4qt pan engines and a longer tray on the 5qt pan engines.