Best oil pump manufacturers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I put in my 350. It's for a 7.4L but fits fine with a little windage tray trimming. The ARP stud is needed too.
You must be registered for see images attach

We did it in my '88 C1500 without messing with the engine mounts, just had to rotate the crank so the counter weights don't interfere.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Melling M99HVS is the only pump I will put in any SBC I build. It is cheaper than a Melling select. The newer OE replacement Melling and thus GM pumps are thinly cast garbage that tend to snap in half. The Select line has the older, thicker castings but the M99HVS is cheaper and it uses a higher tooth count so it spins more smoothly.

This is a M99HVS with an ARP stud and Milodon windage tray for a GM 5qt pan. The 4qt pan uses a shorter tray and 2 less mounting studs as the pan itself contains part of the windage tray. PlayingwithTBIs picture has the shorter tray that matches the 4qt pans.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also Melling for me. Never, ever troubleshot an oiling issue back to one
of these over the years.

And L31MaxExpress's comment on the higher tooth count for
the BBC pump -- this makes a difference in the amount of spark scatter
for those still running old-school distributors that generate the actual
spark timing. (Think HEI or equivalent, as opposed to the spark timing
being derived from the newer CKP sensor waveforms.)

BTW, nice sharp photos - thanks to the quality lighting, much better
than the dark, blurry stuff you see so often. Nice.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your opinion on who makes the best oil pumps for these trucks?
WHAT ENGINE???

Melling is my go-to, and the M99HV-S is very recommended for small-blocks. I suppose it'd fit a V-6 also, but I've never tried.

The Genuine GM, and the Melling "stock replacement" for small-blocks have a crap casting that's known to break in high-vibration situations.

The BBC pumps are not known for this so far as I'm aware.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
Ok, so as a preventive measure. I wanted to go ahead and replace the one in my 95 silverado 5.7 tbi. It's got 208k on it. And I plan on riding this truck until the engine goes. Right now it runs good, the fact this thing has odb1. It's kind lf hard to diagnose problems. I've been learning how to do certian things here and there. Considering this truck is 28 years old, and probably has the original oil pump. I figured I'd wanna replace it with a good one. To keep this truck going for as long as possible. I know that once a oil pump fails, only a matter of seconds, and then severe damage is done. To the point you'd need a new motor or major rebuild. Could even cause a thrown rod from oil starving the engine. So that's where I'm at with the truck. And I just wanted to know who makes the best.

Kylebg94

Reaction score
WHAT ENGINE???

Melling is my go-to, and the M99HV-S is very recommended for small-blocks. I suppose it'd fit a V-6 also, but I've never tried.

The Genuine GM, and the Melling "stock replacement" for small-blocks have a crap casting that's known to break in high-vibration situations.

The BBC pumps are not known for this so far as I'm aware.
5.7 tbi 350