Best water pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 94 k1500 suburban with the 5.7l motor. The water pump started leaking a few days ago at 140k miles. I'm not mad, I drive this truck hard as hell and it's never left me stranded. Water pumps for these engines are dirt cheap, I want the best OEM style replacement out there, wondering what you guys suggest. Been looking at the GMB high performace pump on rock auto as well as a couple of "pricey" (sub $100) pumps on jegs. What would you guys put on if money were no object?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Have you looked at an AC Delco replacement? The one I got for my 1500 looked identical to the 200k+ original that I removed.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2 for ACDelco, I know a lot of their parts are outsourced these days but I legitimately feel like their quality control is a step above the rest. Stick to OEM part numbers, stay away from the "Professional" and "Advantage" parts.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
x2 to above if you want to stay pulley driven, otherwise if money was no object, I'd switch to electric and upgrade to a high amp alt.... IF money was no object.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flowkooler
I've purchased Flowkooler water pumps. I'm less enthused than I used to be.

Far as I can tell, they're GMB pumps with a cut-down impeller and a sheet-metal shield poorly welded into position.

Here's a photo of the one I put on Father-In-Law's Pontiac Firebird 455
You must be registered for see images

I had to grind the spot welds to make clearance to the timing cover, otherwise they dragged on the alunminum timing cover and would have scored it.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just put in a Delco OEM version, and it was exactly like the original that lasted 29 years.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've purchased Flowkooler water pumps. I'm less enthused than I used to be.

Far as I can tell, they're GMB pumps with a cut-down impeller and a sheet-metal shield poorly welded into position.

Here's a photo of the one I put on Father-In-Law's Pontiac Firebird 455
You must be registered for see images

I had to grind the spot welds to make clearance to the timing cover, otherwise they dragged on the alunminum timing cover and would have scored it.

Not the new ones. They have an aluminum impellor that is machined to work equally well in either CW or CCW rotation. I have been running one of their Vortec pumps for several years. Engine seems to run cooler in heavy loading and sustained high rpm.

Order online from flowkooler and get free shipping. They seem to have the best pricing in-house. I am swapping from a Vortec pump to a TBI pump on my 383 Vortec. Eliminating the external coolant bypass and using the internal bypass.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: