Best riding shocks ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK so what is the best riding shocks for our trucks. No lift, and a 2 inch drop in back. Hell I still have the OE rims with 275/60/15 all the way around. Tires ride good. Air pressure is a t 32 PSI. Truck rids good until you hit a bump, then it hard. I have some regular old cheap Gabrel shocks I think. SO what the best riding shock.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In my opinion, Bilstein 4600s. Hands down. I have them on both of my '97s and would buy another set of them tomorrow if I needed them. Both trucks are stock ride height with stock wheels and tires.

MIKE BROGDON

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
After a bunch of research I went with the 4600s on my front end overhaul. I haven't got it back together yet though, however anything is better than the blown out Rancho's that they replaced. I'm hoping by Wed I'll have them on and I'll let you know.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
so what about the 5100 are they a better ride than the 4600?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
so what about the 5100 are they a better ride than the 4600?

Aren't those just for lifted trucks? When I checked Bilsteins website, I didn't see a 5100 for my truck at stock height.

I wonder what my Bilsteins are. I bought mine years ago, and they look like the 4600s, but I think they were actually a 5xxx number when I bought them. I don't have them on the truck anymore. I took them off a few years ago, assuming they were done, but they still seemed to have lots of life left, so I put them away in the new KYB boxes, and put them on my parts shelf.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure about the 5100 shocks. Kind of why I asked here. You go to the web sight, and the info isnt that detailed. I knew that some members here have run bilsteens. I figured bilsteens is what everyone would recomend, but they anit cheap.

whiteboyslo

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, Bilstein 4600s are stock on several applications. So it's stock-looking....kinda. Lol.

Mike