Best cheapest cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
you cant put an edelbrock intake manifold on a vortec because the vortec has two manifolds an upper plastic and a lower metal, the vortec does its atomizing much closer to the cylinder and thus the porting of the intake mainfold is much less important than would be the portings on the intake chambers on the heads..

i think

That answers that. I've seen it done but I believe they were carbed engines IIRC. A lot of work...

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
one of the first things i did when i got my 96 was start looking for a different intake, no such luck. unless you change the fuel delivery setup or put a whipple on or something

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
many "cold air intakes" i have seen on the obs vortecs are not attatched to the fender and are just semi surrounded by a heat shield and seem almost pointless. my buddies k&n is just a floating filter surrounded by a heat shield, not attatched to fender. i cant tell by the pics but does the volant come from fender all the way to intake? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vnt-15957/overview/make/chevrolet/model/c1500-suburban/year/1996
i want one that attaches because obviously that is the only way to truly get production any help?

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
To answer your question: Yes. The Volant picks up air from the same fender hole as the stock setup, but with the Volant, the air has a smoother straighter shot to the throttle body compared to the stock air intake.
They are a little pricey though.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo