Best cheapest cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im looking for a cold air intake on my 97 GMC 1500 5.7. Any suggestions? Any other cheap mods to gain power? Thank you

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Depends on the quality. I know Volant makes one that runs from the fender to the TB but it is a little expensive...

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
Depends on the quality. I know Volant makes one that runs from the fender to the TB but it is a little expensive...

That's a true cold air intake.

A tube with a filter on the end isn't a true cold air intake. It's technical name is like a "ram air tube" or something like that. But a real "Cold air intake" runs from fender to engine.

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Im looking for a cold air intake on my 97 GMC 1500 5.7. Any suggestions? Any other cheap mods to gain power? Thank you

I would just get some straight tubing from an autoparts store, cut it to length to fit you MAF sensor etc and stick a K&N filter in the factory airbox. It's already a cold air system anyways, but having some less restrictive tubing wouldn't hurt.
I would also do the throttle body blade mod, see around the bottom of this page of my build thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?13219-My-new-1996-k2500-eclb/page7

Next E-fans and some kind of a less-restrictive exhaust. The intake resonator removal wouldn't hurt matters any, either.

I would strongly suggest reading this thread if you haven't already: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...p-quot-mods-quot-with-dyno-results#post363823

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm needing to know the same for my '90 GMC 5.7. Are theses intakes really worth the $100 or $200 plus they want for them?

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I'm needing to know the same for my '90 GMC 5.7. Are theses intakes really worth the $100 or $200 plus they want for them?

That all boils down to you. Are they worth it? Sure they are... to some people. And to some, no. If you'd rather spend $30-$40 or so on tubing and such and make your own, then get a filter, go for it. But if you want something that has been designed and tested, spend the money. You're not only getting the product, you're also getting the years of research they have put into the intake systems..

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!