Best cheapest cold air intake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would just get some straight tubing from an autoparts store, cut it to length to fit you MAF sensor etc and stick a K&N filter in the factory airbox. It's already a cold air system anyways, but having some less restrictive tubing wouldn't hurt.
I would also do the throttle body blade mod, see around the bottom of this page of my build thread: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?13219-My-new-1996-k2500-eclb/page7

Next E-fans and some kind of a less-restrictive exhaust. The intake resonator removal wouldn't hurt matters any, either.

I would strongly suggest reading this thread if you haven't already: http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...p-quot-mods-quot-with-dyno-results#post363823

I have read them and the truck is already true dual straightpiped. I am going to do the resonator box thing tomorrow or when i get time.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I'm needing to know the same for my '90 GMC 5.7. Are theses intakes really worth the $100 or $200 plus they want for them?

In my opinion, no. They are just straight tubes giving less restriction than what's in there from the factory. Which is great and gives economy and power, but you can just buy the tubing and do it yourself waaay cheaper with the same results. Only it won't look as good, and isn't a simple plug 'n play like the kit.

My 2 cents

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
I should also note that I'm a cheap son of a b****, too. I wouldn't spend a nickel to save a dime...

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
Wouldn't an Edelbrok intake manifold give better results than a cold air intake for about same price? And it's just as easy to install. Then just slap a K&N in stock air cleaner location. That's my plan anyways (since previous owner slapped a K&N in there). I know older cars an intake manifold makes a noticeable difference.

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've always liked the look of them and wanted one, but just didn't know if it was really worth it.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Wouldn't an Edelbrok intake manifold give better results than a cold air intake for about same price? And it's just as easy to install. Then just slap a K&N in stock air cleaner location. That's my plan anyways (since previous owner slapped a K&N in there). I know older cars an intake manifold makes a noticeable difference.

Better results, probably. They seem to be more popular on TBIs though over Vortecs for some reason. Def not easier to install though :rofl:

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
Better results, probably. They seem to be more popular on TBIs though over Vortecs for some reason. Def not easier to install though :rofl:

I like that answer, because I have an old TBI and am hoping for more oomph. I have the 5.7, but with 35's it's not exactly fast lol.... Yeah, I suppose on these trucks a cold air intake would be pretty simple to install. You got me there.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
In my opinion, no. They are just straight tubes giving less restriction than what's in there from the factory. Which is great and gives economy and power, but you can just buy the tubing and do it yourself waaay cheaper with the same results. Only it won't look as good, and isn't a simple plug 'n play like the kit.

My 2 cents

Wrong. You're referring to a "ram air intake", not a cold air intake. A cold air intake is more than just a tube.

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Wrong. You're referring to a "ram air intake", not a cold air intake. A cold air intake is more than just a tube.

-Sent from the riced out Eclipse!

No...
I admit I should have elaborated in that using a different air box would be less restrictive (eliminating that bend by the factory airbox). However, everything that sucks air from the fender is a "cold air intake". Volant etc. make "cold air intake" kits, but all they are is less restrictive intakes. The stock system is already "cold".
You can do what they do much cheaper.

Unless you stick a filter outside the engine bay, you aren't getting colder air.

trx88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you cant put an edelbrock intake manifold on a vortec because the vortec has two manifolds an upper plastic and a lower metal, the vortec does its atomizing much closer to the cylinder and thus the porting of the intake mainfold is much less important than would be the portings on the intake chambers on the heads..

i think