Best CD player under a 100 dollars ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GL1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will you be using if for anything besides radio and playing cd's? Any streaming from your phone? Once you have bluetooth streaming and hands free calling, you'll really enjoy it.

I assume from your budget you're not going to be adding a subwoofer or additional amps so you want the best sound our of the unit itself. That means high output to the speakers. I've had a couple of the Pioneer cd players and one thing I really liked was the quality of the sound @ 22 watts/channel X 4. They're pretty punchy with just the radio amplifier. My '97 has also has a separate amp and 10" sub and sounds great. I'm planning on installing a similar system in the '99 I just picked up. However, I just checked Crutchfield and the new Pioneer units only have 14 watts/channel. Assuming they're rating them at similar THD levels, I'd be inclined to choose something else. You can even find some off brand units with 50 - 60 watts/channel but I'm not sure how accurate these ratings would be, and what else you'd sacrifice, especially in units less than $100.

Here are a couple that caught my eye....

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR790B/JVC-KD-R790BT.html?tp=72430

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_113BT272U/Kenwood-KDC-BT272U.html

Best wishes,
Steve

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Pioneer and Kenwood are very similar and most likely made in the same factory. I don't know why I had trouble installing the Pioneer but either unit should do fine. Agree with all above that the Bluetooth is awesome to use with a phone. Not only can you play any tune stored on your phone, but the ability to use the phone hands free is very useful and much safer than handling the phone while driving.. not to mention reducing the likelihood of getting grabbed by the law. The units will also read Mp3's from a thumb drive.

The new adapters make it super easy if the PO has not butchered the wiring and restoring the harness is not all that difficult if needed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
Believe Friday I'm go order me a pioneer deh 6900 crutchfield.

I basically had the old version of that rafir, I really liked it!
Bought it in 2013 and it's currently in my dad's truck.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Chevyguy- that's great to know. It has alot of features for a 99 dollar price tag. Pandora, spotify, mp3 mixtrax, Sirius xm, and others. Now I'm go start looking and reading reviews on door speakers.

J_lope82

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Pioneer and Kenwood are very similar and most likely made in the same factory. I don't know why I had trouble installing the Pioneer but either unit should do fine. Agree with all above that the Bluetooth is awesome to use with a phone. Not only can you play any tune stored on your phone, but the ability to use the phone hands free is very useful and much safer than handling the phone while driving.. not to mention reducing the likelihood of getting grabbed by the law. The units will also read Mp3's from a thumb drive.

The new adapters make it super easy if the PO has not butchered the wiring and restoring the harness is not all that difficult if needed.

Looks good, is that a new trim kit around the head unit? I noticed it’s slight different color than your dash. I’m looking for one in that color. Where did you get it?

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good, is that a new trim kit around the head unit? I noticed it’s slight different color than your dash. I’m looking for one in that color. Where did you get it?

I found it on Ebay. It was a kit with the surround and the cubby that replaces the old head unit. If you search on eBay it should come up. The surround is a slightly different color and also has a slight bulge outward to account for clearance for the depth of modern radios. The vents transfer over from the old part and you need to be very careful not to loose the small springs that hold it together. Also not a bad idea to take a few pictures of how it all goes together. Overall I am very pleased with how the project turned out.

One thing to remember is that your stock speakers are most likely shot. All four of mine were completely dead, so make sure you replace the speakers first.

Here is the trim Kit :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-GMC-...ash=item1c188f452d:g:tvYAAOSwB4BaMB4I&vxp=mtr

and here is the cubby that replaces the old head unit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-GMC-CHE...ash=item46464f1033:g:rjwAAMXQO21Ry6Lz&vxp=mtr

Last edited:

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I got my CD player and install kit in from crutchfield. What speakers sizes do I need to order for my 97 single cab?