Bench to 1970 buckets swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
I decided to drop my nasty bench seat for some buckets my dad has had sitting around for years. they are 1970 pontiac bucket seats, all original too.

You must be registered for see images attach

here is what the old bench looked like

here is 20 years of god knows what after i pulled the bench out

removed the old bench tracks

added a piece of angled steel to stiffen the back and added tabs to mount the seats

cleaned up the floor while the seat was out

and pulled the old car phone box too

mounted seats on the original stand so there was no drilling into the floor and used the original mounting holes to. the seat sits a little taller than stock but they hold you in turns and fit nice.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
UPDATE:
i did not like how those buckets sat so i swappd those for some power leather buckets. i am ashamed to admit that they came out of a Ford but sometimes you have to say yes to comfort no matter where it comes from.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New seats look bitchin, what are they out of exactly?

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i forget the year but they came from a late 90's Ford Taurus SHO ( i think it was a 96 or 97). my dad had these sitting around as well so they were free to me and you can't beat that. the main reason why i put these in was because the Pontiac buckets leaned a little forward and you slid down every time you hit the brake. so i decided to make new pedestals and i thought that i might as well put the power leather in as a perk. it was a PITA because every mount on the Ford seats was different. power was easy since there was already wires ran to the back of the cab for the old car phone so just tapped into that.

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
The 70's buckets looked awesome but I completely understand the function over form, don't look bad either.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i really wanted the 1970 buckets more but if i got them sitting right then the back would be against the glass and made my sliding window useless. i will say that the power seats are still close but i can still open the back window