bench seat modification (more recline!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilspot

Reaction score
Just got my 97' ext cab back on the road yesterday. I forgot how much I like driving the truck. One big complaint!!!
The factory bench seat feels like it sits to damn close to 90 degrees. Its ridiculous.
Has anybody attempted to modify factory bench seat to let it lay back a little?

Of course this would need to be a proper/ safe mod. I'm not trying to do a accidental full recline, most likely a high speed, on the damn hwy.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You could put washers on the front bolts between the floor & the riser. But that'll raise the front of the cushion, too.
Buy new ones the right size for the bolts.
It doesn't take much to make a diff. Start with two & see how that feels. I wouldn't go more than four high.
If you just want to get the backrest to recline, that would involve seperating the backrest from the cushion, removing the cover & then modifying the frame. The stops for how far the seat now reclines are made of pretty thick steel so it wouldn't just be a matter of bending them. Slicing, dicing & welding required.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I'm guessing you couldn't just pull the recline mechanism out of a 60/40 seat and swap them in? I genuinely don't know.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do some just not recline at all? I had a regular cab with full bench a while back and pretty sure it reclined.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could put washers on the front bolts between the floor & the riser. But that'll raise the front of the cushion, too.
It doesn't take much to make a diff. Start with two & see how that feels. I wouldn't go more than four high.
If you just want to get the backrest to recline, that would involve seperating the backrest from the cushion, removing the cover & then modifying the frame. The stops for how far the seat now reclines are made of pretty thick steel so it wouldn't just be a matter of bending them. Slicing, dicing & welding required.
This is a good idea. The simplest solutions are often the best. I will try a couple of washers.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I've done that (and by quite a bit sometimes) on other cars and maybe will on my Burb too, but my reason is to pull the cushion under my knees - which I find a lot more comfortable.
It will work for the OP's aim I think. I notice a subsequent post saying he's going to try it. Cheap and cheerful and easily reversible and/or adjustable.