Bed out of line, mounts or bent frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liroku

Reaction score
My new truck's bed('96 Ext Cab) is way out of line with the cab. I am hoping it is mounts or it is somehow fixable, but I fear it may be frame problems from excess loads being placed in it. At the top of the bed, it's about 5/8" away from the cab, at the bottom of the bed, the gap is about 1 1/2". It's about the same on both sides. I have seen a few trucks with this problem, anyone know what the cause is and what I should be looking for?

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine and all I have seen are this way, I am curious to hear if anyone has a good answer for this. Figure they were designed on a Friday at 4:45.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Might be cab mounts, but I would be having a good look at the frame also.....They were known to rust out and break.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine, along with many other GMT400's Ive saw have this mis alignment as well. Frame and mounts on my body and chassis are solid. I chalked it up to my truck having the cab and box of for restoration before I bought it. Figured the body bolts were over torqued causing the issue. I was going to try and sort it out with some shims one day.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ill have to check mine out when I have time. Hard to believe its rusted out cab mounts, and the trucks never been apart or wrecked. Its a 90 model weve had since new. It has 100k miles and spends its life napping in the garage. And never towed or hauled anything beyond its abilities. Could be a factory flaw. Guess ill have to jack it up and check it out one of these days.

Liroku

Reaction score
Thankfully rust isn't a huge problem down here. It's dry most of the year and roads are rarely salted or anything. I checked it out before I bought it and the frame looks pretty rust free. How hard would it be changing cab mounts? Do you do it underneath the truck, or will I be pulling up carpet.

JurgenS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same issue and I know for sure the mounts are not rotten. Recently I have sandblasted the frame and used new body mounts, still the alignement of the bed and cab is about 1/2" off.

You must be registered for see images attach