BBC 454 MKIV Build Out Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevehayes01

Reaction score
So I am starting to plan out the Big Block build out for the truck and had some things I wanted to get opinions on.

Truck as it sits.....
Semi-recently Rebuilt 454 MKIV(less than 30K on it)
Rebuilt 3 speed trans
G80 Locker
Magnaflow Highflow cat
Magnaflow 24" muffler
3" pipe Cat Back

So this is the build plan I am looking at so far....

1. Comp Cam (something mild)
2. Edelbrock 3764 Performer 454 TBI Intake Manifold
3. exhaust ---Single pipe and no headers yet (I live in Cali so headers for CARB are too expensive right now)
4. Adjustable FPR
5. Stage 1 Chip ( I will tune it)
6. Open air intake
7. New Distributor....looking at an MSD
8. Cylinder Heads........????

So my question on heads that I am on the fence about is the heads... Right now its got Peanut port stock heads and I am debating on swapping to closed port heads to bump compression up some (roughly 9:1 would be target). Also what is involved in getting Vortec heads to work?

So looking at a set of 3964290 closed port heads but not sure yet.
3964290 1969-70 454 Closed 345, 360, 390 LS-5 100.9cc

So really looking for some feedback and suggestions on the build plan and some experience with different head choices. Thanks in advance.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
I'll be watching your thread since I'm kicking around the idea of beefing up my '95 454.I was considering 049 or 781 heads since I've heard they promote torque vs. hp.I'm looking for more pulling power since I tow an 8,000lb toy hauler.

BTW,I too live in SoCal....Santa Clarita to be exact.