Bargain Brand or Name brand?

Whats your pick? Does the name brand have better protection and additives?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a 61 Rambler that changed its own oil every five hundred miles and it use to enjoy reclaimed oil , the oil that looked green as long as she stayed full she did not care what you fed her ! As long as it went down her wind pipe and was slick. Got caught between a rock and a hard spot one night and only place to get any was at a marina bar, she drank two stroke that night. So I think as long as it lubricates it works.
Haha! I had a 61 Rambler as well, also had the exact same drinking problem :)

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My truck had Pennzoil 10W30 ran in it with whatever filters the PO's mechanic used, and had the oil changed every 3K; I kept up the Pennzoil, but swapped to AC Delco filters.
I eventually switched to Amsoil 10W30 and WIX/NAPA filters in my truck, and I can say right away going from the standard to the synthetic has made a lot more of a difference than I though it would.

Replacements parts I try to buy the top of the line stuff. NAPA parts seem to be better quality than the other parts stores, it's hard to swing AC Delco sometimes because none of the parts stores carry anything in store, it's all special order.
Alot more difference in what?

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched to synthetic in my 99 Yukon and it has fixed a lifter that would tic for 15 seconds on startup in 20 degree or so weather ! It is cured, I am guessing the oil has more detergent in it. But maybe the P.O. didnt change it often, it only had 50K miles when I bought it in 2015.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Alot more difference in what?

How the engine runs, there would be a quiet, yet noticeable tick from the valve train while idling when I still rain Pennzoil; not only did the tick disappear when I switched to Amsoil, and with the Wix filters the oil pressure holds higher for longer too.
It's probably a pretty **** explanation, but the engine runs a hell of a lot smoother now from just a simple oil and filter change.

Tiny Trucker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Running Castrol magnatec with a litre/qt of Moreys Oil Stabilizer. Noticed after I bought it it had a knock on start up (goes away after pressure builds up) and Ryco filters. The guy who imported it only registered 800mi (think he knew the motor had a limited lifespan) and I dont think the guy who owned it in Cali serviced it regularly. Only 100k.

Now whether to rebuild or LS

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a 61 Rambler that changed its own oil every five hundred miles and it use to enjoy reclaimed oil , the oil that looked green as long as she stayed full she did not care what you fed her ! As long as it went down her wind pipe and was slick. Got caught between a rock and a hard spot one night and only place to get any was at a marina bar, she drank two stroke that night. So I think as long as it lubricates it works.

I love it! My first car was a 74 Vega. Didn't have to change the oil either. Sher burned so much of it it was always clean. The day I traded it in at the dealership the poor salesman had to let the smoke clear for about 10 mins before he would let the appraiser look at it. Of course I didn't get much for it. Lol

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love it! My first car was a 74 Vega. Didn't have to change the oil either. Sher burned so much of it it was always clean. The day I traded it in at the dealership the poor salesman had to let the smoke clear for about 10 mins before he would let the appraiser look at it. Of course I didn't get much for it. Lol
These are the kind of stories us old geezers love, and all of my tires back in the day was drag slicks ! Front & rear lol. I would not dream of riding today like I rode when I was a squirt.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How the engine runs, there would be a quiet, yet noticeable tick from the valve train while idling when I still rain Pennzoil; not only did the tick disappear when I switched to Amsoil, and with the Wix filters the oil pressure holds higher for longer too.
It's probably a pretty **** explanation, but the engine runs a hell of a lot smoother now from just a simple oil and filter change.
I gotcha . I've been lucky. 140k on conventional and wix filters and it still purrs like a kitten. Except for the few times quality synthetic was on sale for cheaper than conventional.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I gotcha . I've been lucky. 140k on conventional and wix filters and it still purrs like a kitten. Except for the few times quality synthetic was on sale for cheaper than conventional.

'The Amsoil is a bit on the pricey side, almost $7.99 per quart, but after seeing and noticing the results from a simple change like that, I'm willing to fork out a couple more bucks every oil change.
I might start going a little bit longer between changes too, try and wring out every penny I can.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These are the kind of stories us old geezers love, and all of my tires back in the day was drag slicks ! Front & rear lol. I would not dream of riding today like I rode when I was a squirt.

I know. I love the stories too. Hey just for grins my 90 GMC is also named Old Blue. It used to be my Dad's truck and he named it years ago :)