Brake hose

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know why drooped vs. compressed matters. The force required to compress the end-link bushings will be more than what's needed to turn the bar in it's rubber/Poly mounting bushings.
I thought I'd read in a service manual somewhere that they needed to be tightened with the suspension comrpessed. May be confusing it with other suspension parts. Regardless you're right, they're absolutely too loose.

Richard

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

So upon removing the previous ones I tighten them back up off the truck to see how far more I could have gone tightening the moog ones. For reference I had about 3 threads sticking out. With it to its max tighten it wasn't much more of a difference like 2 threads more I could have gone and that's it. So they where loose but I couldn't have tighten then much more before it maxed out.
The ones I put now are the ones that came with my sway bar. Also changed the sway bar bushing while I was at it. I'll test drive tomorrow and see if the noise has gone away

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd read in a service manual somewhere that they needed to be tightened with the suspension comrpessed. May be confusing it with other suspension parts.
You're thinking of bonded-rubber OEM or OEM-style control arm bushings. Bonded bushings need to be unstressed when the suspension is at normal ride-height, so that they flex evenly as the suspension moves up and down. If those bonded bushings are stressed at normal ride height, the bond will tear, and then the bushings squeak with suspension movement.

Polyurethane and other non-bonded control arm bushings, and these sway-bar end-links don't need to be tightened with the suspension compressed.

Please crop your photos so that the important stuff is readily visible, and the unimportant stuff is GONE.

To me, those end-link bushings are STILL not compressed enough.

I expect the middle of each of the bushings on the end-links to squeeze-out to the same diameter as the washers. I think you have another thread or two to go before that happens. I'm seeing this more in the bottom bushing, perhaps I'm wrong and this is just an optical illusion based on the suspension position and camera position.

Last edited:

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Just identified where the clunk is coming from. You can see the diff rock back in forth on the bushing. The front differential carrier bushings is done. Now the part of finding replacements since they don't make them anymore. Has anyone every been able to find anything that works? Or do you guys know if the 15962664 would fit the 5.7

Last edited:

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

From doing my research I can infer that there both the same size bushing. As you can see above on the specs for both. The inner and outer diameter are the exact same. Even tho there both different part numbers. Ima be buying the one ending in 15962664 and seeing if it matching the ones on mine with is the 15962663. Either way if they don't fit I can return them. At least I'll know if there identical. I know alot of people have hard time finding the 663 ones for the 5.7 front diff. Obviously I'm going to be measuring mine on the diff before I remove them. I'll keep yall posted.

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

So I got the part today 15962664 measured it. Than measured mine on my diff and there the same size as the 15962663. So I guess yall can now swap your carrier bushings with confidence with the 15962664 for either the diesel or the gas 5.7 vortec.k1500 k2500 and c1500 and so forth. the 664 is readily available. I got mine on Amazon gm genuine next day shipping

nicksuspect

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the different part numbers don't represent physical size difference...what does differentiate the two items?

Thinking perhaps it's the durometer of the rubber.
That's what I would like to know. I mean the good thing is now i can change them an so can many others that havent had luck finding the 663. What's funny is the gm website contradicts what gm says. When you click vehicle fitment for the 664 part number it says it fits all models basically. Says if fits the yukon which is what I have. And when I click the 663 vehicle fitment it also says it fits every model even the diesel 2500. Someone at gm messed up on that one. I'll keep yall posted once I get them swap out. Apparently even the passenger side bushings are the same size. Different style but the same size. Hopefully this post will help more out there that got stuck with the same predicament
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
You're thinking of bonded-rubber OEM or OEM-style control arm bushings. Bonded bushings need to be unstressed when the suspension is at normal ride-height, so that they flex evenly as the suspension moves up and down. If those bonded bushings are stressed at normal ride height, the bond will tear, and then the bushings squeak with suspension movement.

Polyurethane and other non-bonded control arm bushings, and these sway-bar end-links don't need to be tightened with the suspension compressed.

Please crop your photos so that the important stuff is readily visible, and the unimportant stuff is GONE.

To me, those end-link bushings are STILL not compressed enough.

I expect the middle of each of the bushings on the end-links to squeeze-out to the same diameter as the washers. I think you have another thread or two to go before that happens. I'm seeing this more in the bottom bushing, perhaps I'm wrong and this is just an optical illusion based on the suspension position and camera position.
Shurkey, those end link bushing do not squeeze out like rubber bushings, they are almost like nylon.