Bargain Brand or Name brand?

Whats your pick? Does the name brand have better protection and additives?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ram1220

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read a study a few months ago (can't find the link right now but I'll keep looking) where Super Tech from WalMart was ranked as one of the top motor oils that was tested. Since Super Tech is about half the price of the others that's what I use. But I also change the oil and filter every 5K miles. I have never had an issue using Super Tech.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Amsoil regularly runs those tests. They're the suppliers of the latest test I looked at. They test and rank the top oils. Of course, their oils tend to edge out everything else but the important part for me is how the other oils did. Since those are ASTM/SAE tests, it's better/more scientific and believable. I try to run whatever is best at reducing wear done to my engines and full synthetic Valvoline was one of the top players in that game over the average of all the tests. I've attached it for reference..

Attachments

• Amsoil 5W30 Analysis [2013].pdf
    422.3 KB · Views: 3

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Castrol GTX 10w-30 is all I have ever run in my 97 Z71, 99 Tahoe and 99 WS6. Always run a Purolator filter as well. Never had a issue and at 100k on the WS6 it cylinders looked brand new. Also never found any sludge from it either.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I read a study a few months ago (can't find the link right now but I'll keep looking) where Super Tech from WalMart was ranked as one of the top motor oils that was tested. Since Super Tech is about half the price of the others that's what I use. But I also change the oil and filter every 5K miles. I have never had an issue using Super Tech.[/QUOTE
I change oil every 5k miles. I don't think it matters about brand
I had a 61 Rambler that changed its own oil every five hundred miles and it use to enjoy reclaimed oil , the oil that looked green as long as she stayed full she did not care what you fed her ! As long as it went down her wind pipe and was slick. Got caught between a rock and a hard spot one night and only place to get any was at a marina bar, she drank two stroke that night. So I think as long as it lubricates it works.

biggbiker

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a 65 buick that burned so much oil. I would mix half gear oil in and staight 50W. Engine did not die of oil failure, but caught on fire from a carb backfire and was toast.

randomguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replacement parts and filters I use OEM or equivalent premium brands. Fluids are a little different because they have to meet certain standards. I generally run Valvoline Maxlife but have no issues running Super Tech. Walmart is just out of my way where I live.

Macfluke

I didn't see a Possum!
Reaction score
years ago I had a buddy that worked maintenance at a independent oil company that had contracts to package oil, he told me that he saw the same tank that was filling Castrol was also filling Ray-Lube. We had been buying bulk oil from them for a couple years when he told me that, but we never had any oil related issues that I saw...

Sent from my Commodore 64 using 300 Baud Modem.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
My truck had Pennzoil 10W30 ran in it with whatever filters the PO's mechanic used, and had the oil changed every 3K; I kept up the Pennzoil, but swapped to AC Delco filters.
I eventually switched to Amsoil 10W30 and WIX/NAPA filters in my truck, and I can say right away going from the standard to the synthetic has made a lot more of a difference than I though it would.

Replacements parts I try to buy the top of the line stuff. NAPA parts seem to be better quality than the other parts stores, it's hard to swing AC Delco sometimes because none of the parts stores carry anything in store, it's all special order.