back wheels wont spin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so my friend has an 91, says back wheels locked up after being towed, tow truck pulled it over a curb or something and messed something up
now it doesn't have a drive shaft, or transmission, my guess is the parking brake got engaged or something, didn't think to tell him to go see if he can release it, next thought is try and pull drums, might have to try and relsea the tension, problem is its in a garage with another car and not much room to work, so would be nice to have some idea of what it could be

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
If the driveshaft is out and it still won't spin it's either a brake problem or the center section has come apart.

If the Ebrake cables are free moving, you can likely rule that out. You're pulling the drums to check out the rest.

The differential is a simple pull the cover, drain the gear oil and have a looky see.

There's not much else back there except wheel bearings and the pinion bearing.

Just pulling the truck over a curb shouldn't do anything like what you are describing.

bambam78

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Might have a leaking wheel cylinder, my truck had one leaking for awhile, it'd spit fluid all over my drum brakes and make them stick, I'd have to gas it to get it to un snag, just a thought

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
pull the diff cover and check for broken teeth on the ring and pinion or possible broken spider gears in the carrier.

Last edited:

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Neither wheel will spin?...Cant see parking brake on both sides locking on unless the cable got pulled.

Is it locked tight, or will it move back and forth a bit?