Axle Interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
14b SF I assume? FF, no way, lol.

Throw the weak link from the small axle into the strongest axle housing?

Besides that caveat, you'll need custom sizes bearings, cut the shafts down to the 14b width or cut down to axle tubes to fit the 10b shafts, whichever is needed. Custom rear brake mounts

Why...???

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK maybe I didn't say this right.
I want to go to 9.5" rear and keep my 5 on 5 lug axles. From what I understand both have 30 spline axles.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What you want is possible, but not with 10 bolt axles in a 14 bolt housing. The 454SS trucks came with the 9.5" 14 bolt semi-floater and five lug axles. Those five lug 454SS axles will drop right into any standard GMT400 2WD 9.5" 14 bolt housing. Dutchman makes the 454SS axles, part number SR77.

https://dutchmanaxles.com/chevy-gmc-truck-stock-replacement-axles-c-clip-type-pair.html

https://dutchmanaxles.com/images/sr-c-clip/SR-CC-Chevy-Truck.pdf

The only thing I'm not sure about is brakes. IIRC the mounting flanges are in a different location on the 454SS 9.5" 14 bolts than they are on a standard 2WD 9.5" 14 bolt.

Alternatively you could just use a complete 454SS rear end, but they're almost impossible to find and if you do find one they're expensive.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked out their axle chart and now I see that what I am trying to do is pretty much a no-go. 30 vs 33 spline,31-3/8 vs 31-9/16 OAL,1.620 vs 1.705 bearing journal. Only thing that is the same is the wheel pilot at 3.086
Reckon I'll just have to beef up my 8.5"

Das Hatt

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked out their axle chart and now I see that what I am trying to do is pretty much a no-go. 30 vs 33 spline,31-3/8 vs 31-9/16 OAL,1.620 vs 1.705 bearing journal. Only thing that is the same is the wheel pilot at 3.086
Reckon I'll just have to beef up my 8.5"
You can go to the wrecker yard and pull a 9 1/2 inch SF off of a variety of vehicles, and you will have a significant upgrade. Better brakes, stronger axles, if you have any desire to change your ratio, it's a great opportunity. Then just have your axles re-drilled if you want to keep the five bolt. You will need a conversion ujoint for the driveshaft.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can go to the wrecker yard and pull a 9 1/2 inch SF off of a variety of vehicles, and you will have a significant upgrade. Better brakes, stronger axles, if you have any desire to change your ratio, it's a great opportunity. Then just have your axles re-drilled if you want to keep the five bolt. You will need a conversion ujoint for the driveshaft.
Yeah,I'd love to go 3.42 and I have a drill press that would make short work of re-drilling the flange.