Audio recommendations

Best option

• 2-way drivers

• New crossovers and drivers

• Replace current drivers

Results are only viewable after voting.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last edited:

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with Polk audio too much. You'll have to let me know how they sound after getting that amp!

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't dealt with Polk audio too much. You'll have to let me know how they sound after getting that amp!
My cousin had polk audio amp and speakers, it is in the top 5 for loudest and cleanest sounding system i've heard. You could here him coming a couple miles down the road if he was rocking out, and when he turned the subs on it was even better. Another brand I do like is Digital Designs, i think it's a pretty cheap speaker that sounds amazing, atleast if your running amps.

But for my truck I went with JBL 6.5" speakers, they are nice and loud if wanted but there are better. These were just in my budget at the time and to get rid of the 15$ speakers the P.O. put in before.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the input. On top of all of your advice I've also consulted a couple of friends offline and done my own research. Here's the build I've put together so far. If anybody has any advice as far as fitment of these items, please feel free to share.

Head unit: Kenwood DDX574BH http://www.kenwood.com/usa/car/navigation_multimedia/ddx574bh/
Sub amp: Pioneer GM-D9601 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D9601
4 channel amp: Pioneer GM-D8604 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Digital+Series/GM-D8604
Front speakers: 2x Sony XS-GS0621 http://www.sony.com/electronics/car-speakers/xs-gs1621
Rear speakers: 2x Alpine SPS-410 http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/sps-410
Subs: 2X Pioneer TS-SW3002S4 http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Subwoofers/Shallow+Mount/TS-SW3002S4#specs
Sub box: Atrend A102-12CP https://www.atrendusa.com/atrend-vehicle-specific-enclosure-dual-12-gm-extended-cab-88-99-2
Backup camera: Kenwood CMOS-230

Price list (in case anybody wants to duplicate). Prices in US dollar, and based on MSRP. If I get the system, I'll put price list for price I actually paid.
Head Unit: $329.99
Sub amp: $280.00
4 channel amp: $220
Front speakers: $119.99
Rear speakers: $80.00
Subs: $360.00
Sub box: $165.95
Backup camera: $149.99
Total: $1705.92 + taxes and shipping

I'm not sold on the Kenwood camera. Seems a little high to me. There's a shop out here that has good backup cameras for $50, but I didn't get the make/model.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally I've been less than impressed with Kenwood and Sony car audio products over the years, but your experience may be different. Everything else in the list looks decent enough, only thing is your subs will take another 200W on top of what that amp is capable of delivering wired at 2 Ohms. Not a huge deal, just be aware that they could go a little louder with a different amp.

No one pays MSRP for car audio gear. Ever. For a more accurate representation of what everything will cost you, throw those part numbers into Amazon.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Saw the Kenwood in person at a shop. Liked the feel of it and the menu tree, plus it has good reviews. I have a Sony head unit in my current daily driver and I love it, but the speakers I chose based on reviews and a referral from a friend. They look good, they fit, and I haven't heard any bad sounding Sony speakers... I immediately retract that statement. Their Xplod line was abysmal, but other than that, they've always sounded good to me. I was going to wire it at 2 Ohms, I haven't messed with low profile subs before, so I'm not sure if they'll be underpowered compared to the mids. I'm thinking they'll be well balanced this way, if not, I'll probably get a dedicated monoblock for the subs. 2 12" subs in this small of a space shouldn't need too much power to make some noise. Anybody who has a pair of these in their ride feel free to correct me on my ignorance.

I know I won't pay MSRP for this, just wanted to list it so people can kinda gauge where they want to spend more or less money to make their setup match their budget. I've got a guy ;)

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2 12" subs in this small of a space shouldn't need too much power to make some noise. Anybody who has a pair of these in their ride feel free to correct me on my ignorance.

You'd be surprised! I have a pair of 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 shallow mount subs in my regular cab red truck, and they need every bit of the 1000W RMS I'm chucking at them. The issue with shallow subs and small enclosure volume is you'll never get the same type of loudness you're used to with standard stuff. It's all about moving air.

That said, the Pioneers you have picked out look much better on paper than my P3s. I built my system back when shallow subs were just becoming a thing and there were a lot fewer options on the market.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's some excellent advice. I'll grab a 4 channel and a monoblock. I didn't want to have to run 2 amps, as I know that there is very limited space, but there should be space under each of the buckets for an amp... I hope. I'll update the list with the parts I find.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's some excellent advice. I'll grab a 4 channel and a monoblock. I didn't want to have to run 2 amps, as I know that there is very limited space, but there should be space under each of the buckets for an amp... I hope. I'll update the list with the parts I find.

I'm sure you'll manage to find space for them. I'm running three amps in my standard cab, one of which is pretty giant. I put it in the back wall between my subs. Small 2 channel for the front speakers under the drivers seat, and a small 2 channel for the rear under the passenger. Only thing to be aware of is you might have to remove the adjuster tension spring under the seats to get everything to clear.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have 2 amps in my truck, with 2 subs. They aren't huge amps but I was able to tuck them away in each corner under the rear seat. Was a pain in the ass to do, but they haven't over heated yet and they don't move around. Or like df2x4 said you could put them on the back wall, still not a lot of space but it works. I just didn't like the idea of getting to them to tune it.

(I have that same Pioneer amp for my subs, it's cheaper at bestbuy, and i'm sure it's even cheaper on amazon).

EDIT; was talking about the mono amp by the way.