Anything I Should Know About Repairing Drum Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I edited my post...might better plug the combination valve at the ABS as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Yeah after getting things hobbled together the best we could, the brand new wheel cylinder popped off an end while bleeding it. I’m not sure if it’s the axle, the brake booster, or what else it could be but regardless it’s going to be about six months before I buy a new anything. Don’t really feel like spending another penny on this useless drum rear.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, $600?! Maybe at a shady shop. I did mine, new backing plates, drums, shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders for about $400. Most people won't need the backing plates (Almost half of the cost alone)

Like I said, that was in town sourcing from oreilleys. But that was just for the parts.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like I said, that was in town sourcing from oreilleys. But that was just for the parts.
I can tell you right know it was no where near 600... I work at oriellys, again..lol.., and there's no way it came close to 600 in parts... just saying..

Dis they print you a quote.... I'd be interested to see what all was on it...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What year and model info we talking here?

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
If you’re asking about my truck, it’s a 1991 C1500 with the 10” drum rear

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shoes, hardware, 2 drums, 2 wheel cylinders, rear brake hose, both rear brake cables and adjuster.
The last 3 items are for the ebrake which 90% of the time do not need replacing. So take 60 bucks off the price in the pic if you don't do your ebrake cables.
You must be registered for see images attach

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Well here’s the crazy part of it. Yesterday it didn’t want to go back in for anything. We tried all brand new hardware and it was acting like the axle housing was warping on the side we were changing. Fought it for five hours before determining the axle housing must’ve been bad. I went at it alone today and got it done in under 15 minutes.

Don’t ask, I couldn’t tell you. Lol

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
The brake cables is where they were gonna stick it to ya....not normally replaced unless they are known to be bad.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
I think what was catching me was the adjustment fork. The video I watched was working on the passenger side and even though I mirrored everything else I think that’s what got me. Plus I had the parking brake on when changing it yesterday so I think it stiffened up the other pad. But now I think we’re good. Got it bled most of the way but light is still on. Probably going to get it on my buddy’s 2 post and try to bleed it more on Saturday when the 32” tires and 4” Lift get put on.

You must be registered for see images attach