Anything I Should Know About Repairing Drum Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Hey guys, wanted to make a quick post and see if there's anything I should really keep in mind when fixing rear drum brakes. I've been so used to working on discs and calipers that it's been a minute since I've replaced shoes and a leaking wheel cylinder on a drum brake. I have the brake spring tool with the plier ends on it, and I have my Haynes manual which has a step by step tutorial on replacing them, plus with YouTube at my disposal I figured it should go over pretty easy.

Thanks!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Snap a pic on your phone to make sure every thing goes back where it belongs. Check your hardware including self adjust parts and replace as needed. lube the threads on adjusters too.
X-2

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve been meaning to pick one of these up for setting that damned spring end knob thing on the parking brake lever. You know, the one where you need three hands to get it in place.

Do y’all know if it works?

You must be registered for see images attach

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Just thought of another precaution....if you're tempted to blow the brake dust with compressed air wear a mask,that stuff is nasty and do it in a well ventilated area.Hosing it all down with brake parts cleaner first will help with the dust as well.I use an old plastic baby bath tub under the assembly to catch any cleaner,dust and old parts that will fall.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was told once it cost about 600 dollars to do a rear brake rebuild (buying parts locally that is). There is a rear disk brake conversion on jegs for these trucks that cost about the same. May be worth looking into since youre so familiar with disks.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was told once it cost about 600 dollars to do a rear brake rebuild (buying parts locally that is). There is a rear disk brake conversion on jegs for these trucks that cost about the same. May be worth looking into since youre so familiar with disks.
Hahaha, $600?! Maybe at a shady shop. I did mine, new backing plates, drums, shoes, hardware, and wheel cylinders for about $400. Most people won't need the backing plates (Almost half of the cost alone)

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Yeah the only thing I'm aiming to replace at this point is the shoes and the bad wheel cylinder right now. However, I'm definitely interested in that drum to disc conversion.