Anything I Should Know About Repairing Drum Brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Something looks odd there...can you snap a pic of the other side? I'm thinking those shoes shouldn't be the same size,that the rear one should be a little longer than the front.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Not near the truck now as it’s sitting at home but I can confirm they are the same size. The differentiating factor is the stud for the little gold lever to sit on one side and a hole on the other for a spring haha

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Ah,OK then.I was just worried you put both short shoes on one side and the longer ones on the other side.....I did that once many years ago with not so good results in stopping lol.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After replacing drum brakes for 40+ years, having drum brakes on the front was common in the late 60's. It was best practice or normal to replace the backing plate, but they where only $6 each. Being in the boonies, we did not have parts. Backing plate? Where the shoes have the little dimple on the edge of the shoes metal backing, it rides on the backing plate. Over time, it can create a groove on the "PAD" stamped into the backing plate. They are long ovals that have cross-hatch pattern filed into it (Stamped), but hit that pad lightly until smooth with a 4" or 4.5" angle grinder, lightly dressing the entire face of the raise pads in all three spots on the leading side & trailing side (Total of 6). Lubricate with a high-temp disc brake lube with PTFE to reduce binding, catching or popping during braking.
Sorry to repeat a post I did not read from earlier, but I am fussy about brakes. I have way too much work to do while being in retirement. Strange contradiction in terms. It's funny to remember having races at the dealership to properly finish a drum brake job...but did races while changing tires also!

ASE Master Tech since 1978 / Retired ACDelco instructor.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After replacing drum brakes for 40+ years, having drum brakes on the front was common in the late 60's. It was best practice or normal to replace the backing plate, but they where only $6 each. Being in the boonies, we did not have parts. Backing plate? Where the shoes have the little dimple on the edge of the shoes metal backing, it rides on the backing plate. Over time, it can create a groove on the "PAD" stamped into the backing plate. They are long ovals that have cross-hatch pattern filed into it (Stamped), but hit that pad lightly until smooth with a 4" or 4.5" angle grinder, lightly dressing the entire face of the raise pads in all three spots on the leading side & trailing side (Total of 6). Lubricate with a high-temp disc brake lube with PTFE to reduce binding, catching or popping during braking.
Sorry to repeat a post I did not read from earlier, but I am fussy about brakes. I have way too much work to do while being in retirement. Strange contradiction in terms. It's funny to remember having races at the dealership to properly finish a drum brake job...but did races while changing tires also!

ASE Master Tech since 1978 / Retired ACDelco instructor.
I wish I could get backing plates for $6! I think mine were $100 each. Nice to see someone else from Omaha on here, though I don't live there anymore.