Anyone using a GMB waterpump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I bought a GMB waterpump for one of my cars and suprisingly it's made in Japan and not China. GMB is a Japanese company, but I still figured it would be a cheap Chinese pump given the application. Anyone here buy one for thier 400? I thought about ordering one for my 454 even though I dont need one right now.

If you bought a GMB, where was it made? Has is lasted?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought a few, but none for a GMT400.

The "Flowkooler" Oldsmobile pump was based on a GMB casting, as was the Flowkooler Pontiac pump. I believe that I'm done with Flowkooler pumps...but not because of the GMB pumps I'm told that they're based on.

Both of those pumps went on years ago, but they went onto "toy cars" that get driven rarely. Not good examples for reliability on daily drivers seeing thousands of miles in a short time-frame.

I can wish for aluminum water pumps made in the USA, but failing that I wouldn't be afraid to try a Japanese GMB.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a GMB pump that was modified by Flowkooler on the Express van. Seems to do its job well. The previous pump was an Autozone Duralast pump from 2006. At that time they had an option to get a HD unit with a larger front bearing and that is the one I ran.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm looking at reviews on Amazon and thier regular pump doesn't have any. The high performance pump has poor reviews. No indication of coo, either.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Given that Amazon themselves doesn't seem to sell the GMB pump for my truck, and I don't actually need it right now, I'm going to hold off. I've got a GM casting that I could send off for rebuild, and a new Gates Chinese pump that was a warranty exchange, if I needed a pump right away.

Also Stockwise Auto lists it as being made in China.

Thanks for the replies.