Alarm Systems and Theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very interesting responses guys. I really like the removal of the fuel pump relay that's a killer idea!

I too am very aware of my surroundings now that I'm older but when I was younger I had 2 or 3 systems stolen out my truck pulling up @ school or wherever with the volume up (both HS and College) and even took out my flip out DVD put it in my living room, and it got stolen from THERE!!! I'm over the whole system thing although I may go with a double din next year. All that is nothing compared to getting my truck stolen.

I take certain precautions like every night before I hit the sack I pull my truck in first in the driveway in my main spot and then put my dads 2000 chrysler cirrus directly behind my truck so If they want the truck they gotta steal 2 cars LOL but the fuel pump thing is a killer idea if I'm ever have to leave it somewhere and I have NO options.

Are there any new alarm systems that will sync with my smart phone where I could unlock, start, and kill it from my phone and also monitor it??? Call me paranoid but when it comes to my truck I'm always thinking about the possibilities I think it comes from the true blood, sweat, and tears I've put into it is just too much to carelessly leave it places or not worry bout er.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
When I bought my wife's Malibu last year we got LoJack put on it. Someone came to my house (set up through GM), installed it in the car, and left. He wouldn't tell me where he put it. All he told me was that it's hidden on the car somewhere and it has to get power somehow. So...with that being said the dealership told me if the car gets stolen and the police don't find it within 24 hours....THEY PAY FOR THE CAR! No questions asked. The success rate on finding a vehicle with LoJack on it is uncommonly good. The best part is that no one knows the car even has it. There's no monthly or yearly cost after you pay for it, which is nice. We paid $400 for it thorough the dealership. To me it was good piece of mind even though myself, nor my wife are in sketchy neighborhoods.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Neither of my obs's were ever locked, my crew usually had the windows down, my land rover always had the windows down and the keys literally in the ignition unless it was the ghetto then I would bring the keys with me. I have never had anything stolen out of any of my vehicles and none of them were ever stolen (obviously) My nbs only gets locked because it has the key fob that works. Alarm systems have always seemed like more trouble then they are worth, think about it every time one goes off nobody stops and says hey someone if breaking into that car let's go take a look... they say "who the **** isn't turning off their alarm, it's annoying the hell out of me" but they never actually look at the vehicle.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dirty I too COULD have always left my windows down and the keys in my truck apparently. Never had a vehicle stolen or anything like that but it still doesn't mean it can't happen. Think about it the average person that gets a vehicle stolen probably has never had a vehicle stolen prior to that either. I sure do wish alarm systems did their job. You'd think a company would have figured out a way to make them un-passable by criminals otherwise it's really just kind of embarrassing to the company, but then again they don't give a **** people still buy the hell out of them I guess...Lo Jack is definitely sounding good although I could give a **** about them paying for my stolen GM400 it's had so much done there's no way they'd pay for it they'd give me a couple grand for it :nono: So I'm just trying to find the best bet to having it not stolen at all. I've had a false sense of security I guess having this alarm system and now that it has crapped out well now I need something again.

Question, once you have an alarm system installed and it craps out and you want another one is it a huge PITA for the shop to install another one since there's already all the wiring for one there? One on side I'm thinking it could cost me more in labor, and on the other hand I'm thinking it could be a good thing since a ton of wiring is already ran, the actual alarm horn already installed....I dunno I guess they'd have to replace it all with the new stuff anyway but JW

I've found a couple of these $50 "alarm systems" Wtf are they and why do they say it takes 10 mins to install? I thought alarms were a PITA to install and took forever?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bull...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e61b6c83b

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Dirty I too COULD have always left my windows down and the keys in my truck apparently. Never had a vehicle stolen or anything like that but it still doesn't mean it can't happen. Think about it the average person that gets a vehicle stolen probably has never had a vehicle stolen prior to that either. I sure do wish alarm systems did their job. You'd think a company would have figured out a way to make them un-passable by criminals otherwise it's really just kind of embarrassing to the company, but then again they don't give a **** people still buy the hell out of them I guess...Lo Jack is definitely sounding good although I could give a **** about them paying for my stolen GM400 it's had so much done there's no way they'd pay for it they'd give me a couple grand for it :nono: So I'm just trying to find the best bet to having it not stolen at all. I've had a false sense of security I guess having this alarm system and now that it has crapped out well now I need something again.

Question, once you have an alarm system installed and it craps out and you want another one is it a huge PITA for the shop to install another one since there's already all the wiring for one there? One on side I'm thinking it could cost me more in labor, and on the other hand I'm thinking it could be a good thing since a ton of wiring is already ran, the actual alarm horn already installed....I dunno I guess they'd have to replace it all with the new stuff anyway but JW

I've found a couple of these $50 "alarm systems" Wtf are they and why do they say it takes 10 mins to install? I thought alarms were a PITA to install and took forever?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Bull...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e61b6c83b

The point is that they (burglers) aren't going to find, or know for that matter that you have LoJack on your truck. The problem with alarm systems is that the vast majority that you get from (insert audio store HERE) are cheap and can be bypassed in a matter of seconds. So...do you want to pay a couple hundered for a ****** alarm that isn't going to do much, or get something that will get you your truck back?

http://www.lojack.com/car/Pages/car.aspx

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's another question guys like I said my alarm system I had installed in 04 or 05 has just kind of slowly stopped working. I lost my original LCD transmitter and have been using the backup for many years. Once it quit locking/unlocking the doors I went down and bought some batteries for the remote and now that that has not worked I'm wondering what else it could be? I noticed some fuses under the dash around all the alarm wiring I checked them all and they're good but I don't see how this kit could just crap out. I've had it a while but it's been tucked away and no harm to it.

What should I check next to try and get it back working again? I noticed the remote is working because it will flash the red light but no reaction from the truck but anyway I would love to buy the old LCD remote transmitter back (found it on ebay) but I'm wondering how do I make it work on my truck if I did buy it? Thanks so much for your help guys

and Jolly Green I hear you I just had more hope in technology these days I guess....

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thats why we bought a house with a garage in a nice neighborhood, I wouldnt let some little 18 year old punk at best buy hack into my trucks electrical system.....just saying. I dont think alarms work, if you hear one at 2am, do you even bother getting out of bed??

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Get a dog.
I live within 6 blocks of Canada's worst ghetto. No kidding.
Everyone within a 2 block radius knows that my house has a dog.
Forgot my keys in a unlocked truck overnight, in the driveway.
Nobody messes with my ****.

Last edited:

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Wouldn't he have to take the dog everywhere he went? :rotflmao:

@ Southern - I know. I feel the same way. One would think that they could make a fairly inexpensive alarm that would be very difficult for someone to bypass.